Galaxy S2 I9100 is among the lucky few Samsung devices to enjoy the goodness of the latest Jelly Bean update, Android 4.1.2, on the most stable custom build of AOKP Milestone 1 ROM that comprises the most up-to-date bug-fixes. However, there is still no word on the official Jelly Bean update for the phone from Samsung.
Key Points to Note
- The AOKP Milestone 1 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the Galaxy S2 I9100 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for your Galaxy S2 I9100 to enable connectivity with the computer.Download Samsung Galaxy S2 USB drivers
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Application > Development and check the USB debugging option. This feature helps connect your Android phone with the computer.
- The users are advised to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the latest Jelly Bean firmware update on your Galaxy S2.
- Verify that your phone's battery is at least 85 percent charged to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the AOKP Milestone 1 ROM.
- Make sure that your phone is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery installed on it.
- Do a Dalvik Cache wipe before continuing from the recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after installing this ROM, as it is a custom ROM release.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Android 4.1.2 firmware update. Users are cautioned to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install AOKP Milestone 1 Based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 AOKP Milestone 1 Jelly Bean for Galaxy S2 I9100 and Google Apps to your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S2 USB mass storage on your computer with an USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded Android 4.1.2 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone and unplug the USB cable to disconnect the phone from the computer.
Step 5 - Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together, until the device boots into CWM Recovery Mode.
Step 6 - In CWM recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then browse and select "flash zip from SD card" option and tap the Power button to select it.
Step 7 - Tap the Power button again and click choose zip from sdcard.
Step 8 - Now, use your volume keys to navigate to the Android 4.1.2 ROM zip file that you copied to your phone in step 3 and select it using the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps.
Step 9 - Once the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and reboot the phone by tapping Reboot Systemnow from the recovery menu. The phone will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
AOKP Milestone 1 ROM based Jelly Bean update is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S2 I9100. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]