The Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) has officially announced the availability of JB-MR1 Build 6 ROM for multiple Android- powered devices. The new custom build is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and brings a host of customised features along with fixes.
AOKP Build 6 features
1) Fully revamped NavBar and lockscreen UI in ROMControl
2) Themeable lockscreen
3) Scrollable toggles
4) Web GL on the Nexus 10
5) Options to Daydream on wireless charger
6) Volume adjust sound preference
7) Open source Superuser
8) StatusBar hide toggle
9) Sleep toggle
Head over to the source page to know more about the bug fixes and issues related to the Build 6.
This custom release is also available for the international version of Samsung Galaxy S2 with model number I9100. Galaxy S2 users are looking to update their handsets with Android 4.2.2 using AOKP JB-MR1 Build 6, may follow our step-by-step guide below.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device.
1) Install USB driver for Samsung Galaxy S2 on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode to connect the phone with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create a backup of all data of the device.
4) The Galaxy S2 should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
5) Verify that the phone should have above 80 per cent of charge.
6) The AOKP Build 6 ROM is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100; installing this on any other variant might brick the device.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB-MR1 Build 6 ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100
1) Download Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean AOKP Build 6 custom firmware for Samsung Galaxy S2 to the computer [Do not extract the zip file]
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Plug in the USB cable to the phone to connect it with the computer. Then copy the download zip files to the SD card of the phone
4) Unplug the USB cable from the phone and switch it off
5) Boot the device into recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the screen flashes and then release all three buttons. After a few seconds the phone will enter recovery mode
6) In CWM recovery, perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later in case the new build does not work. In order to perform backup, select 'Backup and Restore' then on the next screen select 'Backup' again. Return to the main recovery menu after backup is completed
7) Perform data wiping task by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset.' Then select 'Yes' on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for a few minutes until the phone wipes the data. Now, go back to the recovery menu, select 'wipe cache partition' and then select 'Wipe Dalvik Cache'
8) Scroll down to 'install zip from sdcard' and select it by using the Power button. Select 'choose zip from sdcard' then locate the Jelly Bean ROM copied to the SD card. Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation by selecting 'Yes' on the next screen. The installation will now begin
9) After the ROM is installed, repeat the procedure to install Google Apps zip
10) Once the installation process is completed, go back to the recovery menu and select 'reboot System now' to reboot the phone and boot up into the customised AOKP Jelly Bean ROM. The phone will take some time to boot for the first time
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 should now be updated with AOKP JB-MR1 Build 6 ROM featuring Android 4.2.2. Navigate to Setting>> About Phone to verify the software version running on the device.
[Source: WCCF Tech]