Close on the heels of recently leaked official test firmware, XXUFMB3, the Galaxy S3 I9300 gets yet another Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) firmware via XXUFMB3 based Omega custom ROM. The ROM brings a number of interesting features borrowed from the official beta firmware XXUFMB3 that was released just a few days back (19 February).
Here is the complete list of features supported on the newly released Android 4.2.1 XXUFMB3 based Omega Jelly Bean ROM:
- Kernel Stock XXUFMB3
- Modem XXEMB1
- Multi 128 csc set to EUR
- efs Backup (added the option to create efs backup during installation)
- OmegaDroid Walk Bootanimation
- Omegadroid wallpaper added in default wallpapers
- CWM Manager v3.60 by Chainfire (not fully compatible)
- Busybox v1.20.2
- init.d support without the need of a kernel that supports init.d
- Aroma installer
- Full Wipe option
- Wipe cache partition automatic before roms installation
- Wipe Dalvik Cache automatic during installation
- Wipe preload partition automatic before roms installation
Google apps from Android 4.2:
- Camera and Gallery from Android 4.2
- Keyboard Android with Gesture Typing from Android 4.2
- Keyboard with Emoji Support from Android 4.2
- Clock Application from Android 4.2
Omegas addon applications:
- Es File Explorer (with great Root Explorer)
- Hide It Pro
- Download All Files
- FastDormancy Toggle for I9300 by gokhanmoral
- Flash player Support
- OnlineNandroidBackup credits to H3R3T1C and ameer1234567890
- Multiwindow manager
- CPU Adjuster v2.7.5 by bartito - xda thread
- Boot sound
- Charger Connection Sound
- Enabled Custom Bootanimations
- All supported languages enabled
- All supported languages for Samsung Keyboard enabled
- Email with Exchange Security Disabled
- Hide sms from call logs
- Disabled Scrolling cache
- No sms to mms conversion
- Unlimited contacts to sms - mms
- V6 SuperCharger credits to zeppelinrox
- Disabled advertisements - can be enabled again from Addfree app (included in Omega)
- Faster GPS lock
- Modded YouTube by rolle (can download videos)
- Join more unlimited contacts in the contact app - Get this from Omega Files
- Battery % mod
- Enable Call Button In Contacts - Get this from Omega Files
- Enable sub Symbols on Stock Samsung keyboard
- Added exit menu to stock web browser
- All rotations enabled
Samsungs Task Manager Shortcut app by indie
- build.prop tweaks
Stock Theme Changes:
- Dithered Holo Background
- Black status bar
- Transparent Accuwheather Widget
ROM is Deodexed + Rooted + Zipaligned
Key Points to Note
- XXUFMB3 Omega Jelly Bean ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S3 on your computer (download Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers).
- Back up important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss during firmware installation. It is recommended to use one of the custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP for data backup, as it creates a complete image of the current phone set up. Avoid using either Samsung KIES or ROM manager, as they lack flexible options for data backup.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure that the device has at least 85 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during the ROM installation.
- Verify that the device is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on it.
- Do a Dalvik Cache Wipe before exiting the Recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after installing this ROM, as it is a custom firmware release.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the custom ROM installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.2.1 XXUFMB3 Based Omega Jelly Bean ROM
Step 1 - Download Android 4.2.1 XXUFMB3 Omega ROM for Galaxy S3 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the Galaxy S3 USB mass storage on computer using original USB cable.
Step 3 - Without extracting, copy the downloaded Android 4.2.1 Omega ROM zip file to the root folder of your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the phone into Recovery Mode through a button sequence. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the device boots into CWM Recovery.
Step 6 - In CWM Recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then navigate to Flash zip from SD card option and hit Power button to choose it.
Step 7 - Tap the Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to the Android 4.2.1 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
Step 9 - Once the ROM installation is complete, hit Go Back and reboot the phone by tapping Reboot System Now in the recovery menu. The phone will reboot now and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, do not interrupt the process.
Your Galaxy S3 I9300 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.1 XXUFMB3 based Omega Jelly Bean ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]