Galaxy S3 I9300 recently received the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom firmware via SlimBean Build 1 release. Now, a follow-up version has been released for Samsung's flagship smartphone via SlimBean Build 2 ROM by the SlimROMs developer team. The latest SlimBean ROM release brings a host of new custom features, a handful of bug-fixes and plenty of performance optimisations to fine tune your handset for the ultimate Android experience.
New Features of SlimBean Build 2 ROM
- TheRealDarkSlim Toggle (Initial)
- Shiny new SlimSizer
- Renamed SlimOTA to SlimCenter
- SlimFilemanager: Added root functionality
- Extended QuickSettings style options (tiles per row, press/bg color, etc)
- New Notification/Lockscreen Shortcut icons
- Configurable QS long press
- Update DashClock to latest version
- Configurable Notification behaviour
- NFC Polling Mode (AOKP)
- LockscreenPattern: Toggle dots/error pattern visibility (from CM)
- New Notification/Lockscreen Shortcut icons
- Added Power/Camera to Lockscreen longpress button actions
- Add USB Tether tile
- Add LTE tile
- Advanced low battery indicator options (popup/sound/notification)
- Return to call log after call
- Mark dismissed call as missed
- Automatic keyboard rotation feature
- Fullscreen toggle added to browser menu
- Add Signature to Messaging
- Customise charging battery colour
- Added more scenes & focus modes to camera
- Added exposure and jpeg quality to video camera
Devices Specific Features
- i9100g: Fast charge support
- N7100: S-pen power saving mode
- OneX: Tons of new features
- Mako: Updated prebuilt kernel
- Manta: Updated binaries
- tuna: Updated binaries
- NavBar back/menu firing after longpress actions
- NavBar "kill app" action killing system apps and crashing system
- A2DP streaming sound quality fixes
- HighEndFX properly hidden on devices with native support
- HTML5 audio playback
- BT tethering label
- Fix hide HighEndFX option for devices with native support
Device specific Bug-Fixes
- d2: Longpress timing issue causing short press to act as long
- d2: Fix routing for BT voicedial feature
- i9100: Low headphones sound issue fixed
- i9100: Fixed pinch to zoom Camera
Head over to the source page to learn more about known issues and new apps supported by the ROM.
NOTE: SlimBean Build 2 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 only. Do not attempt this procedure on any other device, as it may permanently damage or brick the device. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged during or after the ROM installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers).
- Back up important data and settings on the phone by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for about five to ten minutes before working on it.
- Double check to see that the device is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) installed on it. Root Checker app may be downloaded and installed on the phone to verify if root access is working correctly, before proceeding with the custom ROM installation.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with SlimBean Build 2 ROM
Step 2: Connect the phone to computer via USB cable.
Step 3: Without extracting, copy the downloaded zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4: Power off the device and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5: Boot the device into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Home button together while simultaneously Powering ON the device.
Step 6: Once the device enters CWM recovery, perform a full data wipe first. Then browse to Flash Zip from SD card option and hit Power button to select it.
Step 7: Click Choose Zip from SD card. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate to ROM zip file and Power button to select it in recovery.
Step 8: The installation process will begin. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen.
Step 9: Repeat the Step 7 for installing Google Apps (but, choose GApps zip file instead of ROM zip).
Step 10: Go to "+++++Go Back" and click reboot system now to reboot the phone into the newly installed ROM.
Galaxy S3 I9300 is now successfully updated to the latest Android 4.2.2 SlimBean Build 2 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.