Samsung has begun rolling out its latest Over-The-Air (OTA) Jelly Bean update, Android 4.2.2 XXUBMF8, for Galaxy S4 (I9500 and I9505) users in Southeast Asian countries including Malaysia, Philippines and Singapore. The new official firmware is also available for download via Samsung KIES.
However, those who missed the official OTA update notification and those residing outside the supported countries can now download and install the same manually via ODIN, using our step-by-step guide.
Android 4.2.2 XXUBMF8 Firmware Details
Version: Android 4.2.2
Built date: Jun 19, 2013
Regions Supported: Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore.
NOTE: Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- XXUBMF8 official firmware and instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settingson the device to avoid data loss while performing any data wipe tasks during or after firmware installation.
- Ensure the phone isfactory unlocked(not locked to a specific carrier) as well asbootloader unlocked.
- Verify that thecorrect USB driversare installed forthe phone on computer (download Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging modeon the device by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings >Applications> Development (if phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the device is running on Android 4.2, then do the following:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure that the phone hasat least 80% battery chargeto prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- ODIN is designed to work in Windows OS only. Linux and Mac OS X users should use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN on their computer.
IBTimes UK brings you a step-by-step guide to install official Android 4.2.2 XXUBMF8 Jelly Bean OTA on Galaxy S4 GT-I9505, courtesy of Honai of Android.
How to Install Official Android 4.2.2 XXUBMF8 Jelly Bean OTA Update on Galaxy S4 GT-I9505
Step 1: Download Android 4.2.2 XXUBMF8 Jelly Bean OTA for Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 and Odin v3.07 on your computer.
Step 2: Extract the firmware zip file to the desktop to obtain a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 3: Now extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Then boot the device in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon appears on screen. Then hit Power button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you extracted in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges is required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy S4 to computer via USB cable, while the phone is still in Download mode. When the device connects successfully, a message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the tablet's USB drivers or changing the port on the computer.
Step 6: Choose the following files from the extracted I9505XXUBMF8 folder that you obtained in Step 1 by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the '.tar.md5' file
- Tap the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if such file is not found)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and click the file named 'CSC' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Click the PIT checkbox, and choose the '.pit' file (ignore if the file is missing)
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 8: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 6 and Step 7 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin flashing the firmware.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
The Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 is now running on the latest Android 4.2.2 XXUBMF8 Jelly Bean OTA update. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
If the phone is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 9, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now option. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Performing data wipe task will only erase your phone's internal memory and not the data on SD card.
Now that you have successfully installed the latest official Jelly Bean firmware on the Galaxy S4, you can root the same via CF-Auto Root, using our guide (courtesy of Honai of Android).
How to Root Official Android 4.2.2 XXUBMF8 Jelly Bean OTA Update on Galaxy S4 GT-I9500
Step 2: Extract CF-Auto-Root and Odin 3.07 files using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other file extracting tool.
Step 3: Power off the phone and then boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until the construction Android robot icon appears onscreen. Now hit the Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 4: Launch Odin on computer.
Step 5: Connect the device to computer via USB cable while it is still in Download Mode. When the device connects successfully, one of the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. If Odin fails to detect the device then re-install USB drivers for your phone or try connecting to different USB port (preferably the one at the back of computer).
Step 6: In Odin, click the PDA button and select CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gti9505.zip file.
Step 7: Verify that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin. Also, ensure the Re-Partition option is not selected.
Step 8: Verify that steps 6 and 7 are done correctly and then click Start in Odin. The installation process will now begin.
Step 9: Once the installation process completes, your device will reboot and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. When the Home screen appears, unplug the USB cable to disconnect the phone from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 is now rooted on Android 4.2.2 XXUBMF8 Jelly Bean official firmware. It is now possible to install any app that requires root permission. Confirm root access to the device by downloading Root Checker app from Google Play Store.