England's most popular footballer David Beckham celebrates his birthday on 2 May. Arguably the most recognisable footballer in the world, Beckham who turns 41, made his debut in 1992 as part of Fergie's Fledglings and retired 20 years later in 2012-13.
Beckham has had an illustrious career winning titles with Manchester United, Real Madrid and Paris St Germain. In fact, he has won six league titles with Manchester United in the English Premier League while also picking up the Uefa Champions League in 1998, one league title with Real Madrid in the Spanish La Liga and one league title with Paris Saint-Germain in Ligue 1.
The midfielder has won a string of individual honours too, being named the Professional Footballers Association Young Player of the Year award in 1996-97, the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award in 2001 and finished runners up behind Brazilian Rivaldo in the Balloon d'OR trophy stakes in 1999.
Here are top-10 quotes from iconic players and managers about the former England captain:
1. He is a tremendous player and he has contributed so much to the success of Manchester United. He is a world-class performer, so any team would want to accommodate him – Zinedine Zidane
2. He should guide Posh in the direction of a singing coach because she is nowhere near as good at her job as her husband – Brian Clough
3. Your real ability as a sportsman and as a person shines through when life gets hard and you're out of nick, the team is faltering and the public is no longer on your side. It is those situations for which David Beckham is born – Ian Botham
4. What remains in your memory is his genuine commitment and dedication, his natural humility which he always had, that will stay forever – Arsene Wenger
5. Beckham has always been nice to me. He has always had very good words for me. I'm sorry I could never be his coach. I would love it – Jose Mourinho
6. I would be very proud if one day, I'm held in the same esteem as George Best or David Beckham – Cristiano Ronaldo
7. He is tough. It is rare that a man can be tough on the field and also have his own line of underwear – Barack Obama
8. He is a winner. There is no doubt about that, and it's stating the obvious to say that he is a tremendous talent – Kevin Keegan
9. David impresses by his example on the field. He never stops running, he plays with supreme confidence, he always tries his hardest and scores important goals – Sir Alex Ferguson
10. He is such a great player that he has the capabilities to let no one affect his game – Steve Mclaren