Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 users have so far received neither Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) nor the highly desirable Jelly Bean upgrade via official channels. Now an Android 4.0.4 ICS upgrade has been made available for the Galaxy Ace, by XDA senior member Koogly, who has released the Mokee custom ROM.
The ROM is based on EXT4 file system, which is reportedly more than twice as fast as earlier versions, and brings a cool new interface and exciting features onboard.
Koogly's Mokee Custom ROM Features
- Mokee Based - brings a host of Options Built In
- Apocalypse As Base
- Moderate Battery Life (Expect about 8 Hours of battery life on normal use or about 6 Hours of ultra usage)
- Edited build.prop for superior performance
- Lightweight Keyboard (Multiling Keyboard)
- Holo Launcher as the Default Launcher (Developer recommends using Holo Locker perfect combination)
- Call Function Works - It comes with iPhone styled Dialer and Contact Interface
- Lewa's FM Radio Function
- Dark Blue Mi File Explorer by apoonet
- MiUi Camera
- Colour Notes As default Memo App.
- MoreLocale 2 for eng Language selection
- New Play Music (Imported from Jelly Bean)
- Quickpic as Default Gallery app
Key Points to Note
- Koogly's Mokee custom ROM and instructions given in this guide are applicable only for the Galaxy Ace S5830 model and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important personal data and settings to avoid data loss while performing the ICS upgrade.
- Do NOT use ROM Manager to backup your data, as it may brick or damage your phone.
- Ensure that your Galaxy Ace phone is rooted and its bootloader unlocked. Also, make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your phone before proceeding with the ROM installation.
- Verify if your device is already rooted or not by downloading the Root checker app from the Google PLAY Store.
- Enable USB debugging mode to support the Mokee custom ROM installation. To do so, navigate to Settings > Applications > Development > select the USB debugging option to enable it.
- Make sure that your phone battery holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while flashing the custom ROMs or installing the Android 4.0.4 ICS upgrade.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using Koogly's Mokee firmware update. Users are cautioned to proceed at their own risk.
How to Upgrade Galaxy Ace S5830 to Android 4.0.4 ICS with Koogly's Mokee Custom ROM
- Download Koogly's Mokee Final Custom ROM ICS Upgrade to your computer. After the ROM is downloaded, connect your Galaxy Ace phone to the computer with an USB cable. Copy the downloaded ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer after you have copied the zip file.
- Download ROM Manager app from the Google PLAY Store and install it. After the installation, launch the ROM Manager and click the option FLASH Clock Work mod Recovery. Now, the custom recovery image is flashed. Then hit Reboot in Recovery Mode to enter recovery mode.
- There is another way to place Galaxy ACE in recovery mode. To do so, press and hold the Menu Button and then hit the Power button. If the device boots up in normal mode then you need to retry the step to enter recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, click install zip from sd card and then select choose zip from sd card. Browse and select the Koogly's Mokee Final Custom ROM firmware which you copied to your Galaxy Ace phone. Double-tap on the ROM zip-file to begin its installation. It will take around 3 to 4 minutes to complete.
Tip: If your Galaxy ACE fails to power up or gets stuck in the boot loop mode, you need to re-insert the battery and repeat the process by following the above steps.
Koogly's Mokee Custom ROM based Android 4.0.4 ICS upgrade is now successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy ACE S5830.
[Source: Android Advices]