Representative image/

A 37-year-old woman died after eating marshmallows at a fundraising event in Rhondda Cynon Taf County, Wales, on Saturday.

According to local media reports, the woman, identified as Natalie Buss, collapsed during a fundraiser for a Welsh rugby club's under-10s side at the weekend.

The police have launched an investigation into the matter as not much is known about the circumstances of her death, reports The Guardian.

"A 37-year-old woman collapsed and died at Beddau RFC. The coroner has been informed, and inquiries into the circumstances of the death are continuing," read a statement from the South Wales Police.

The club, in a statement issued after the tragic incident, wrote: "The club and the Beddau community are heartbroken. On Saturday night, we lost a very dear friend who will be sadly missed.

"Everybody associated with Beddau RFC and within the community are nothing less than devastated at the weekend's tragic accident and we struggle to comprehend the sense of loss people are feeling."

In a similar incident reported from Bournemouth in 2017, a man nearly choked to death after a fish that he was playing with jumped up and got stuck in his throat.

His heart stopped for three minutes as his friends tried to perform CPR. He was rushed to a nearby hospital, where the paramedics tried to pull the fish out of his throat. They used forceps to pinch the tail of the fish and slowly pull it out without it sliding back down further.

If the man had not tried to place the 14-cm Dover sole over his mouth, he would not have been in this situation. The moment he tried to put the fish over his mouth, it wriggled free and jumped straight down his throat.

In 2020, a two-year-old girl died after choking on a piece of sausage that she had been served at a nursery in London.

While having lunch at the Mini Learners nursery in Radlett, two-year-old Sadie Salt started choking on her food. The nursery alerted emergency services, and the child was taken to a nearby hospital.

Her condition remained critical. She was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) of the hospital as medics continued to stabilise her condition. However, even after the continued efforts of the medical team, the child passed away within two days of the unfortunate incident.

Earlier this year, a five-year-old Australian girl died after choking on a deli frankfurter. Imogen Lennon was in her mother's car on the way home to Canowindra, in Central West New South Wales, Australia, when she suddenly started choking on a deli frankfurter. Although her panicked mother called for an ambulance and ended up driving her daughter to the hospital herself, the girl did not make it.