Saudi-led coalition warplanes launched air strikes in the Yemeni capital Sanaa in the early hours of Sunday, (23 October), just hours after a three-day ceasefire came to an end, security officials said.
They said the air raids targeted military facilities that belonged to the Houthi rebels, the Associated Press reported. They did not give any details of the casualties or damages. Radar positions in the Houthi-held area of Hodeida were also reportedly targeted.
The raids came after UN special envoy to Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, urged both sides to extend the temporary truce for another 72 hours. The truce agreed earlier by both parties ended at 11.59 pm local time on Saturday.
Ahmed said the ceasefire had largely held "despite reported violations from both sides in several areas", and added that UN personnel were able to deliver food and humanitarian aid to areas that were inaccessible previously."We would like to build on this and we aim for a wider outreach in the next few days," he said.
Diplomats and UN officials hoped that a ceasefire could pave the way for talks to end the war.
The conflict in Yemen began in 2014 when Iran-backed Shiite Houthi-rebels captured the capital city of Sanaa. Since March 2015, the Saudi-led coalition has conducted air raids and stationed troops in Yemen to fight the Houthis and forces loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh and restore power to exiled president Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi.