England (12) 38

Try: Barritt, Ashton, Tuilagi

Pens: Farrell 4, Burns 2


Drop goals: Farrell

New Zealand (0) 21

Try: Savea 2, Read


Conversions: Carter 2, Cruden

England shocked world champions New Zealand with three second half tries to claim a record-breaking win over the All Blacks at Twickenham.

Owen Farrell scored 12 first half points without reply to put England on their way but converted tries from Julian Savea and Kieran Read put the visitors within a point with 30 minutes remaining.

But Brad Barritt's maiden international try, Chris Ashton first try for 11 test matches and Manu Tuilagi's solo score left the world No.1 ranked nation battered and bruised, and despite Mako Vunipola's late sin bin, and Savea's subsequent second try, England held out to produce the shock of the autumn and the crowning victory of Stuart Lancaster's reign in charge.

Chris Ashton
Ashton scored his first try in 11 tests to shock New Zealand.

With their hopes finishing the autumn in the IRB world rankings top four over after last weekend's defeat to South Africa, Stuart Lancaster's side were hoping to regain some pride and lay down serious marker and record just their seventh win over the All Blacks, and the first since 2002.

Under fire captain Chris Robshaw retained his place in the side following criticism over his decision making in the defeats to Australia and South Africa, as Owen Farrell, one of four players nominated for the IRB player of the year award, replaced the injured Toby Flood at fly half in England's only change,

Led by head coach Steve Hansen, New Zealand, without the suspended Andrew Hore, could boast two nominees for the prestigious award in their starting XV, as captain Ritchie McCaw and returning half-back Dan Carter led the formidable visitors who were unbeaten in their last 20 internationals.

In stark contrast to the opening quarter during the previous autumn internationals, England begun with the upper hand, and McCaw had to be alert to intercept after Tuilagi benefitted from a hanging kick.

Both No.10's started in uncertain form, with Farrell failing to find touch from an early England penalty, and Carter failing to hand the away side the lead with a routine kick under the posts.

But upon Farrell eventually finding touch and giving England position the hosts sought to convert their dominance into points but Ashton, without a try in 11 test matches, knocked on with the line at his mercy.

Farrell was able to put England into the lead with a penalty, but when Carter was handed his second presentable opportunity of the afternoon, he again uncharacteristically succumbed to the pressure.

The miss came back to haunt the All Blacks as Israel Dagg was penalised for holding on after Ben Youngs' box kick, and Farrell made it two from two.

New Zealand
New Zealand had no response to the England onslaught.

The game continued to produce one-way traffic, as first Farrell produced a drop goal and then a 40-yard penalty to hand England a 12-0 lead at the break and leave New Zealand with major questions to answer in the second half.

But three minutes after the interval, England again posed more problems for the two-time world champions up front, as Dan Cole forced Tony Woodcock to collapse from a scrum, and Farrell duly kicked the points following the infringement.

New Zealand then produced a resurgence worthy of their world No.1 status as they scored two converted try is as many minutes. First Savea went over after McCaw took the early contact inside five meters, then Read found the corner after England were guilty of kicking away possession.

However, if the All Blacks thought the momentum had shifted they were severely mistaken, as England scored three tries in nine minutes to blow way their southern hemisphere counterparts.

Barritt ran superb a attacking line to burst through the New Zealand defence, before exchanging passes with Tuilagi to touch down for his first international score. It was then the turn of Ashton, who ran off Tuilagi's should after the centre bundled past Carter, allowing the Northampton wing to break his international try drought.

And then, as New Zealand worked the ball through the hands deep in the England half, Tuilagi, who had previously been provider, anticipated a flat line pass and burst away to put the home side out of sight.

A physically drained England did extend their lead through debutant replacement Freddie Burns, but after going down to 14 men following Mako Vunipola's sin-bin, Savea grabbed his second try; a mere consolation as the hosts cruised to the most impressive win under Lancaster's guidance and ended their autumn campaign on a high with a record win.


England: A Goode; C Ashton; M Tuilagi; B Barritt; M Brown; O Farrell; B Youngs; A Corbisiero; T Youngs; D Cole; J Launchbury; G Parling; T Wood; C Robshaw; B Morgan

Replacements: D Paice (D Cole); D Wilson (T Youngs); M Vunipola; C Lawes (for B Barritt); J Haskell (for B Morgan); D Care (for B Youngs); F Burns (for O Farrell); J Joseph (for J Launchbury)

New Zealand: I Dagg C Jane; C Smith; M Nonu; J Savea; D Carter; A Smith; T Woodcock; K Mealamu; O Franks; S Whitelock; B Retallick; L Messam; 7 R McCaw; K Reid

Replacements: D Coles (for K Mealamu); W Crockett (T Woodcock); C Faumina (for O Franks); L Romano (for B Retallick); V Vito (for L Messam); P Weepu (for A Smith); A Cruden (for D Carter); B Smith (for I Dagg)