Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean official test firmware, with build version XXUBMF2, has leaked for Samsung Galaxy Grand DUOS bearing model number GT-I9082, which is currently running on Android 4.1.2.
The leaked Android 4.2.2 update is expected to bring a host of new features such as transparent notification bar, Smart Stay, Light effect by unlocking, Page Buddy and Daydream, notes Sammobile. With the new update, the device has become faster compared to the previous Android 4.1.2. Besides, the update brings improvement to battery life, but no new feature has been added to the camera app.
The official Android 4.2.2 for Galaxy Grand Duos is expected to be released this quarter.
Prior to the official rollout those who wish to install Android 4.2.2 test official build on their devices may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it to the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The battery of Galaxy Grand should have above 80% charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, it will lose custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP which will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) Android 4.2.2 XXUBMF2 Jelly Bean leak firmware works only on Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to install I9082XXUBMF2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082
Step-1: Download I9082XXUBMF2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean leak firmware for Galaxy Grand Duos to the computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with a few other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07 which will help to install the Android 4.2.2 firmware. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and some other files
Step-4: Switch off the Galaxy Grand and wait for five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down buttons together
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator
Step-7: Connect the Galaxy Grand to the computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn yellow with the COM port number. Also, the successful connection will be indicated by a message saying Added in Odin. This step is likely to take some time
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port located at the back of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device, then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from I9082XXUBMF2 folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (step-b, c and d) if such files do not exist.
Step-9: Configure the Odin settings. Check the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin window. But uncheck the Re-Partition option; select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: Click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take about few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Also, the successful installation will be indicated by a PASS message with green background in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin. Now, safely unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos should now be updated with Android 4.2.2 XXUBMF2 Jelly Bean official test firmware. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version running on the device.
How to Fix Bootloop Issue
If the Galaxy Grand gets stuck at booting animation (after step-11) or experiences bootloop, then place the device in recovery mode by pressing and holding the Home, Power and Volume Up buttons together. In recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/factory reset. Now, select wipe cache partition and once the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and the Power button to select the desired option. Performing wiping task will erase the internal memory data of the device.
Click here for guide to root Galaxy Grand Duos and install CWM recovery.