Recently, Google posted the official factory images for Galaxy Nexus porting the stock Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM onboard. The stock firmware for the latest Jelly Bean software allows users to reset their device to original state in cases where the software may get corrupted after a custom ROM install.
A rooted and deodexed (which means you could flash custom themes later) Jelly Bean ROM is now available for Galaxy Nexus i9250, thanks to XDA senior member teshxx. This ROM is based on factory image or stock Android 4.1 ROM that enables manual update to Android 4.1.1, besides providing root access to the user (as the ROM is already rooted).
As The Android Soul notes, the stock ROM is faster than the earlier OTA based ROM released for galaxy Nexus i9250.
Key Points to Note
- This stock ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are limited to work only with the international GSM version of Galaxy Nexus and are incompatible with other Android devices. To check your device model navigate to Settings > About phone.
- The instructions in the guide are meant for reference purpose only and does not support any warranty claims or own responsibility for issues arising out of using this ROM update. Users should proceed at their own risk.
- IBTimes UK advises its readers to backup their important personal data (bookmarks, contacts, photos, music albums, SMS, APNs) to prevent any risk of losing data while performing the ROM update.
Before you proceed with the instructions to update Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus using the stock rooted ROM, it is necessary to unlock the phone's bootloader and install the TWRP recovery on your nexus phone.
How to Unlock Galaxy Nexus i9250 Bootloader
Note: This procedure will erase all data, including the data on your SD card, so please do backup everything.
1. You need to download a couple of files first.
b) Download Fastboot files from here.
2. Now put your phone in fastboot mode:
a) Power off your phone
b) Press and hold the Volume Up Key, Volume Down Key and then press the Power button.
c) This should bring up the Android logo, with an accompanying text message below that would read "FASTBOOT MODE" in red.
3. Extract the Fastboot.zip file to the desktop on your PC
4. Now open the Fastboot folder. Then hold Shift key and Right click at any empty space inside the folder, and select "Open command window here"
5. Now connect your phone to your PC using USB cable, and then type fastboot devices in the command prompt to make sure your device is recognised.
6. To unlock the bootloader, type the following in the command prompt:
fastboot oem unlock
7. Accept the unlock request on your phone by selecting Yes using the Volume button and then press the Power button to confirm (see image above)
That completes the unlock procedure for bootloader on your Galaxy Nexus. You can now head over to the installation instructions for TWRP Recovery.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy Nexus
1. Download the TWRP recovery image for your Galaxy Nexus model.
GSM Galaxy Nexus: Download Link | Filename: openrecovery-twrp-2.1.0preview-maguro-signed.zip
CDMA Galaxy Nexus: Download Link | Filename: openrecovery-twrp-2.1.0preview-toro-signed.zip
2. Copy the downloaded zip file (GSM or CDMA version according to your device) to the SD card on the phone.
3. Power off your phone, then boot into Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery. This can be done by performing the following button sequence: Power + Volume Up and Down. Now, you will get access to Fastboot mode. Here, press Volume Up twice till you see Recovery highlighted, then press Power button to boot into recovery. One you enter the recovery mode, use Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select.
4. Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the recovery's zip file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes - Install _____.zip on the next screen. The TWRP recovery will begin installing.
5. Once the installation is done, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot your phone.
This completes the installation steps for TWRP recovery and you can boot into it similar to the ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM Recovery)
How to Install Stock Rooted Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy Nexus i9250
1. Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page. Ensure that it's the deodexed version.
2. Copy the downloaded zip file to the SD card on the phone.
3. Power off the phone and boot into TWRP recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together till the screen turns on. Then, scroll to the Restart Recovery menu using the volume buttons, then select it using the Power button to restart in recovery.
4. Now, select Backup, then slide the blue circle button at the bottom to the right to begin backup of your current ROM. This is useful for restoring later if something fails with the new ROM. After backup is complete, return to the main menu by tapping the home button at the bottom left of the screen.
5. Select Wipe, then select Factory Reset and then select Yes to confirm the data wipe. This procedure will not wipe your internal SD card's contents, so you can leave it connected. Now, return to the main menu by clicking the home button.
6. Click Install, then locate the ROM's file on the SD card (which you transferred in step 2) and select it. Confirm installation by sliding the blue button.
Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean is now successfully installed. Besides, you have the pre-rooted version of the latest Android OS running on your Galaxy Nexus phone. Enjoy all the Jelly Bean goodness without having to spend a penny.
[Source: The Android Soul]