Samsung's Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is hogging the limelight ever since its global release took precedence over other Android ICS smartphones. It has been a busy schedule for the Android developer community, thanks to the overwhelming user demand for custom ROMs, tweaks and mods for optimising the leading Android handset.
If you are a power hungry user and wish to get things done quicker, smarter and prettier on your Galaxy S3 device, then flashing custom ROMs to your smartphone is your best bet. The release of AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) ROM for the international model - Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 - has been possible with due credit to Faryaab, a well-recognised member of XDA Developers.
The ROM is currently being revamped to fix a set of known bugs including FM radio not working, LED disability while using camera and Wi-Fi connectivity issues. You could check the model number of your Galaxy S3 by clicking Settings > About Phone. This will help you confirm if your phone is indeed the international version (GT-i9300).
Key Points to Note
Before proceeding with installation steps for the custom ROM on your GT-i9300 device, there are a few key points to remember.
- The instructions specified in the guide are applicable for the international model GT-i9300 Galaxy S3 only and may cause irreparable damage to the device if attempted on other models.
- There is no guarantee that the procedure will work on your device, as it depends on various other variables like free from hardware defects and software bugs. It should be used as a reference only and modding the device with custom ROMs and tweaks may void the manufacturer warranty on your device.
- We recommend you backup important data on your device before flashing the custom ROM on your device to avoid data loss during the process (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like).
All That You Need
How to Root Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 with ClockworkMod Recovery pre-installed
- For step-by-step assistance, check our guide on how to root and flash ClockworkMod Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300.
- Your handset's USB cable
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Ensure that your phone's battery is fully charged (not less than 75%) to avoid battery shut down during the process.
How to Install AOKP I9300 Milestone 6 Custom ROM [TUTORIAL]
Step 1: Browse to the location of the downloaded files - AOKP I9300 Milestone 6 package and the GApps (Google Apps) package and copy them to the root folder of the phone's internal SD card.
Step 2: Turn off your phone and ensure it is completely shut-down, wait until it vibrates and the lights on the Menu and Back keys turn off.
Step 3: Now, you have to reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery. Press and hold down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons simultaneously until you see the Samsung logo on the screen.
Step 4: Perform a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Tap Backup and Restore, and select Backup on the next screen.
Step 5: Erase everything on your phone by tapping Wipe Data/Factory Reset then click Yes on the next screen for confirmation.
Step 6: Tap Wipe Cache Partition and hit confirm the action on the next screen.
Step 7: Return to the main menu and hit Advanced. Tap Wipe Dalvik Cache and hit Yes to confirm the action on the next screen.
Step 8: Choose Install ZIP From SD Card. Hit Choose ZIP From SD Card and select the AOKP ROM's ZIP file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM successfully to your phone.
Step 9: Navigate to the main menu and install the GApps package by repeating the step 8. This will install apps like the Play Store, Mail, etc.
Step 10: After completing the installation, return to the main menu. Hit Reboot System Now to reboot your phone to the newly installed AOKP ROM.
You have successfully flashed the AOKP I9300 Milestone 6 custom ROM on your favourite Galaxy S3 device. You can now enjoy the freedom of using third-party apps and tweaks, besides a much faster and intuitive user interface to fiddle with.
[Source: Android Authority]
Check Out the Video Below for Further Assistance: