The Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE N5120 is still unavailable for most Android users in various parts of the world. However, the tablet recently received its first official Jelly Bean update from Samsung for select countries in Europe including the UK. The Galaxy Note 8.0 users, who cannot access Over-The-Air (OTA) update notification or download the update through Samsung KIES, can now download and install the same manually using our step-by-step guide given below.
Those who are running custom ROMs on rooted firmware can also restore their devices back to stock (factory) settings by manually installing the latest Android 4.1.2 XXBME1 Jelly Bean official firmware, using this guide. The installation of this firmware paves the way for all future OTA updates on your tablet.
Android 4.1.2 XXBME1 Firmware Details:
Date: May, 2013
Key Points to Note
- XXBME1 official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are limited to the international variant Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE N5120 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Back up important data and settings on phone using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Make sure that the tablet has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation, as this may inadvertently brick or damage the device.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the tablet on computer (download Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE N5120 USB drivers).
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Double check to see that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) with CWM recovery installed on it.
- If "MD5 hash value is invalid" error message appears in Odin message box, then just re-download the firmware.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XXBME1 Jelly Bean Firmware on Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE N5120
1. Download and extract the firmware zip file to receive a .tar file in the extracted folder.
2. Then extract Odin.zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe with a few other files to a desired folder on the desktop.
3. Power off the tablet and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power button together until the screen flashes with the Android logo. Then release all three buttons and hit Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator, as admin privileges are required to complete the firmware installation smoothly.
6. Connect the tablet to computer via USB cable. A notification message reading "Added!" should now appear in Odin. If for some reason, the message fails to appear then just try another USB port. If the issue persists, then reinstall the USB drivers for the phone on computer. When the device connects successfully, the ID: COM port will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number.
7. Choose the following files in Odin via respective checkboxes from extracted XXBME1 firmware folder:
- Click the 'PDA' checkbox, and choose the '.tar' file extracted in Step 1.
- Select the 'Phone' checkbox, and click the file named 'modem' (Ignore if there is no such file).
- Choose the 'CSC' checkbox, and select the file named 'CSC' (Ignore if such file is missing).
- Select the 'PIT' checkbox, and click the .pit file. Use only if the file was obtained while extracting in step 1, otherwise ignore it.
8. Hit Start in Odin and the firmware flashing process will begin. Once the firmware flashing is complete, the tablet will automatically reboot and a green PASS message will appear in the top left corner of Odin message box. Now, unplug the USB cable from computer to disconnect the tablet.
Your Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE N5120 is now running on the latest Android 4.1.2 XXBME1 Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware installed.