Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190 users in Romania recently received their latest Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) update, thanks to the release of Android 4.1.2 XXAME1 official firmware from Samsung. Though the firmware is now available in several countries as an OTA update, it is still unavailable for download through Samsung KIES.
Those who missed the official OTA update notification and those residing outside the supported countries can still download and install the same, using our step-by-step guide given below.
Android 4.1.2 XXAME1 Jelly Bean Firmware Details:
Date: June, 2013
NOTE: Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to read the instructions carefully and proceed with caution.
- XXAME1 official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss while performing any data wipe tasks during or after firmware installation.
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and bootloader unlocked.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190 USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the device by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure that the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- ODIN flash tool is designed to work in Windows OS only. Linux or MAC OS users should use CrossOver utility to run ODIN on their computer.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XXAME1 Jelly Bean OTA Firmware on Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190
Step 1: Extract the firmware zip file to the desktop to receive a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 2: Extract Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
Step 3: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Now boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power button together until a construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 4: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you obtained in Step 2 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the firmware installation process smoothly.
Step 5: Connect your phone to computer via USB cable. When the device connects successfully, the message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the tablet's USB drivers or changing the port on computer.
Step 6: Choose the following files from the extracted I8190XXAME1 folder that you obtained in Step 1 by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the .tar.md5 file
- Tap the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if such file is not found)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and click the file named 'CSC' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Click the PIT checkbox, and choose the '.pit' file (ignore if the file is missing)
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 8: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 6 and Step 7 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin flashing the firmware.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
The Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190 is now running on the latest Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Jelly Bean OTA firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
If the phone is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 9, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now option. Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Performing data wipe task will only erase your phone's internal memory and not the data on SD card.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]