Jamie Vardy
Jamie Vardy could be in hot water after his post-red card behaviour during 17 April's 2-2 draw with West Ham AFP

Tottenham Hotspur could be handed further incentive in the Premier League title race, with Leicester City's key player Jamie Vardy possibly facing additional punishment following his red card in Leicester City's eventful 2-2 draw with West Ham United on Sunday (17 April). The 2016 PFA Players' Player of the Year nominee gave his side the lead with a typically composed first-half finish, but picked up his first yellow for a rather innocuous foul on Cheikhou Kouyate.

He collected his second caution for simulation 11 minutes into the second half after tangling with defender Angelo Ogbonna inside the penalty area. Such a controversial decision provoked a furious reaction from Vardy, who is alleged to have sworn at referee Jonathan Moss while angrily pointing his finger in the direction of the official.

The 29-year-old, who has spearheaded the Foxes' incredible top-flight campaign with 22 goals in 34 appearances that included a record-breaking streak between September-November 2015, will definitely sit out next weekend's visit of Swansea City to the King Power Stadium but could miss additional fixtures if the episode features in Moss's post-match report. Leicester travel to Manchester United on 1 May before closing out a memorable season at home against Everton and away to Chelsea. They hold an eight-point advantage over Tottenham before the latter's trip to Stoke City.

Vardy's dismissal was far from the only controversial incident to mar an otherwise entertaining and high-stakes affair in the east Midlands. Sixth-place West Ham were awarded what many deemed as a soft penalty when Winston Reid was pulled back at a corner by Wes Morgan, but were later denied a valuable three points in the race for Champions League qualification as Leonardo Ulloa notched a last-gasp equaliser from the spot after Andy Carroll was adjudged to have fouled fellow substitute Jeff Schlupp.

The game also featured several instances of grappling inside both areas and supporters were incensed at a perceived lack of consistency in Moss's decisions. After the full-time whistle, Carroll accused the referee, who received a security escort off the pitch, of looking to even up the game in comments that may also merit attention from the Football Association (FA).

"It's not acceptable," he told BBC Sport. "Week in, week out, we've had bad decisions. I mean, it is a bad decision. It's not the first time and probably won't be the last. I think he's trying to even it up and a lot of people have said that.

"We could be third and flying. Now we're still fighting for fourth, fifth spot and we're slipping down by losing these points. It is just disappointing and there's nothing we can do about it."