Old Trafford
Manchester United's clash with Bournemouth was abandoned due to the discovery of a suspicious item Alex Morton/Getty Images

A bumper last day of the 2015-16 Premier League season was overshadowed by worrying events at Old Trafford, where Manchester United's home encounter against Bournemouth was delayed and then abandoned entirely on safety grounds after a suspect package was discovered in the north-west quadrant.

Both the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand and the Stretford End were evacuated during a "Code Red" situation at the 75,365-capacity stadium before all supporters and media were asked to depart. A controlled explosion was later carried out by bomb disposal experts, as confirmed by the Greater Manchester Police. In a statement, the Premier League confirmed that the decision not to stage the match was taken on the advice of police and that they would seek to rearrange the fixture "as soon as practically possible". This is highly unlikely to be before the FA Cup final between United and Crystal Palace at Wembley on Saturday 21 May.

With their rivals not in action, Manchester City all but cemented their grip on fourth place courtesy of a 1-1 draw at Swansea. Needing just a point during Manuel Pellegrini's final match in charge to effectively secure a place in the Champions League play-off round due to their superior goal difference, the two-time champions took an early lead through Kelechi Iheanacho before being pegged back by a deflected Andre Ayew free-kick in first-half stoppage time.

Elsewhere on a hectic afternoon, Arsenal leapfrogged Tottenham into second and finished above them for the 21st consecutive season after an Olivier Giroud hat-trick inspired them to a 4-0 rout of rock-bottom Aston Villa. Captain Mikel Arteta also bid farewell to the Emirates Stadium after five years and 150 appearances with a late goal off the substitutes' bench. Spurs, meanwhile, finished an otherwise impressive campaign in which they were the only real challengers to Leicester's unbelievable title triumph with a shocking capitulation away to relegated Newcastle.

Tottenham were humiliated by relegated Newcastle on Tyneside Stu Forster/Getty Images

Georginio Wijnaldum and Aleksandar Mitrovic gave the hosts a 2-0 lead at the interval before Erik Lamela reduced the deficit. The Magpies' Serbian striker was then dismissed for a terrible challenge on Kyle Walker, but that numerical disadvantage did nothing to stunt their momentum as Wijnaldum added a second from the penalty spot after Moussa Sissoko went down under pressure from Christian Eriksen and Jan Vertonghen. Rolando Aarons and Daryl Janmaat scored twice inside a minute late on to ensure that Newcastle finished their six-year stay back in the Premier League with a flourish amid uncertainty as to the future of manager Rafael Benitez.

Southampton are guaranteed a top-six finish and a place in the Europa League after thrashing Crystal Palace 4-1 at St Mary's. Sadio Mane, Graziano Pelle, Ryan Bertrand and Steven Davis all netted for the Saints, who have risen to fifth but will drop a place if United pick up at least a point against Bournemouth. Palace scored through a thumping strike from winger Jason Puncheon.

West Ham stumbled home in seventh following a late defeat at Stoke. Slaven Bilic's men dominated proceedings for the most part and led through Michail Antonio, only to concede a second-half equaliser to Giannelli Imbula and a late winner to Mame Biram Diouf. They must now hope that United win the FA Cup in order to secure a place in Europe, while Liverpool must beat holders Sevilla in the Europa League final on Wednesday (25 May) to retain their place in the competition after a 1-1 draw against West Brom. Jurgen Klopp made 11 alterations for the trip to The Hawthorns and saw Jordon Ibe cancel out Salomon Rondon's opener.

Danny Drinkwater
Danny Drinkwater is expected to be named in Roy Hodgson's England squad for Euro 2016 Michael Regan/Getty Images

Leicester City closed a truly remarkable campaign with a 10-point cushion over their closest challengers following a 1-1 draw at Chelsea. The title-winners and former Blues boss Claudio Ranieri were treated to a guard of honour from last year's champions and took a share of the spoils thanks to Danny Drinkwater's long-range strike. Cesc Fabregas had earlier given the hosts the lead from 12 yards following N'Golo Kante's trip on Nemanja Matic. John Terry addressed supporters after the final whistle as he continues to deliberate over the offer of a one-year contract extension.

At Goodison Park, Everton began the post-Roberto Martinez era by brushing aside Norwich, whom they assisted in relegating with their 3-0 defeat to Sunderland in midweek. James McCarthy, Leighton Baines and Kevin Mirallas all registered on the scoresheet in only the club's sixth home league win of the season. The much-changed Black Cats, meanwhile, twice led against Watford through Jack Rodwell and Jeremain Lens only to be denied a third straight victory by Sebastian Prodl's header and a Troy Deeney spot-kick.