Christians around the world will celebrate Palm Sunday 2014 on 13 April - to remember the triumphant entry of Jesus Christ into Jerusalem on the Sunday before Easter.
The occasion marks the beginning of the Holy Week, the most sacred days of the Christian calendar, to be followed by Maundy Thursday and Good Friday all the way up to Easter and the events leading up to the resurrection of Christ.
In the Bible, Saint John describes the happenings on Palm Sunday: "The next day the great crowd that had come for the Feast heard that Jesus was on his way to Jerusalem, They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, 'Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the King of Israel!"
During Palm Sunday services, large palm branches are carried in procession to represent the palm branches the crowd scattered in front of Jesus as he rode into Jerusalem.
Scroll down to take a look at Top Ten Palm Sunday Quotes to mark the beginning of Holy Week.
- "Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout, daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you; righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey." - Zechariah 9:9
- "Jesus found a donkey and sat upon it, as Scripture says: Do not fear, city of Zion! See, your king is coming, sitting on the colt of a donkey!" - John 12:14
- "Then I saw heaven opened and a white horse appeared. Its rider is the Faithful and True; he judges and wages just wars."- Revelation 19:11
- "But Palm Sunday tells us that ... it is the cross that is the true tree of life." - Pope Benedict XVI
- "Ride on, ride on in majesty!
In lowly pomp ride on to die;
O Christ, thy triumphs now begin
O'er captive death and conquered sin" - Henry Hart Milman
- "Palm Sunday is like a glimpse of Easter. It's a little bit joyful after being sombre during Lent." - Laura Gale
- "Lord, we lift up your name. With hearts full of praise; Be exalted, O Lord my God! Hosanna in the highest!" - Carl Tuttle
- "Palm Sunday's thought; Life is full of ups and downs. Glorify God during the ups and fully trust in Him during the downs." - Unknown
- "Have a blessed Palm Sunday. Remember a week before he was crucified like a criminal, he rode into the city a king." - Unknown