Paris attacks
A photo taken on November 17, 2015 in Paris shows the Eiffel Tower illuminated with the French national colors in tribute to the victims of the November 13, 2015 Paris terror attacks. BERTRAND GUAY/AFP/Getty Images

French security has confirmed that surveillance video appears to show a ninth attacker during the 13 November attacks in Paris that left 129 dead and more than 400 injured. The footage allegedly depicts a third person in the car carrying the attacker group that hit several bars and restaurants in the deadly terrorist attack.

According to the BBC, it remains unclear whether the ninth attacker is one of the two suspected accomplices arrested in Belgium, or is on the run. A vehicle rented by Salah Abdeslam, the suspected eighth gunman now being sought after around the world, is being investigated. The Belgian-registered black Renault Clio was discovered near Montmartre following the attacks.

Police are also searching the premises believed to have been used by the terrorist attackers. Salah Abdeslam or his brother Brahim, who blew himself up during the attacks, are believed to have rented an apartment and two hotel rooms in Paris. Investigators believe the attacks were organised and coordinated from Belgium, where the gunman travelled to and from.

A brother of the two alleged attackers, Mohamed Abdeslam, spoke to French channel BFMTV on 17 November and urged his brother to turn himself in. "The best would be for him to give himself up so that justice can shed all the light on this."

According to ABC News, Mohamed was arrested and questioned following the attacks and later released on 16 November. "I was not tied in any way to anything that happened Friday," he said. He added that while his brother prayed and occasionally attended a mosque, he dressed in jeans and pullovers and did not show signs of being radicalised.

Brussels Federal prosecutor's office spokesman Eric Van Der Sypt told ABC News that the two Abdeslam brothers were known to Belgian authorities and appeared to be radicalised. The pair was flagged for wanting to go to Syria and were investigated but were found not to pose an imminent threat and could not be arrested.

The deadly assault, which was claimed by terrorist organisation Islamic State (IS), has left countries on high alert, leading to increased security in major cities throughout the world.

On 17 November, a friendly match between Germany and the Netherlands was abandoned shortly before kick-off after police in Hannover received "concrete" information about a bomb threat at the stadium. The footballing ground was evacuated and part of Hannover railway station was closed while a suspicious object was investigated.