The autopsy into the death of Italian footballer Piermario Morosini has returned with inconclusive results, according to a report on ESPN. The report confirms the autopsy was carried out Monday and lasted for more than six hours. The autopsy began at approximately 11.30 am (local time) at Pescara's Institute of Forensic Medicine.

Morosini, a 25 year old midfielder who played for Lega Serie B (the Italian second division) side Livorno, died of a cardiac arrest he suffered while playing a league game for his club against Pescara.

"There is no macroscopic evidence that allows us to determine his death,'' coroner Cristian D'Ovidio said, in a report by GazzettadelloSport, "Further tests are needed, even of toxicological nature." There is continued speculation, therefore, on the exact cause of death and according to media reports in Italy, medical attention is reportedly being focused on the assessment of cardiac defects such as structural alterations of the organ and genetic defects involving the heart's electrical conduction.

Meanwhile, according to the Gazzetta dello Sport, the prosecutor of the Republic of Pescara, Valentina D'Agostino has granted clearance to the Morosini family to claim the body of Piermario and bring it back to his home town of Bergamo. The funeral will be held on Thursday, at 11 am (local time), in the parish church of Monterosso in Bergamo.

Piermario Morosini: Coffin Paraded Around Livorno's Armando Picchi Stadium

However, prior to the transfer to Bergamo, a Fox Sports report adds, the body will be taken to the city of Livorno for a public viewing, to allow fans to pay their final respects; there are also plans to carry the coffin around the Armando Picchi stadium on Tuesday.

Morosini's club, Livorno, have also confirmed they will be retiring the number 25 jersey, which was worn by the unfortunate player and have also asked media outlets to respect his family's privacy during these difficult times.

"I told the boys that we need to react because he was a fighter,'' Livorno president Aldo Spinelli said after meeting the squad at the first training session since Morosini's death, ''Tomorrow there will be a procession with a turn around the stadium in which the whole squad will participate. It will be our way of honouring him in front of the city.''

Finally, in a heart-warming gesture, BBC reports that Morosini's parent club (he was on loan at Livorno from Serie A side Udinese) will take on the responsibility of caring for his disabled sister. Udinese's captain, forward Antonio di Natale, confirmed the club would provide life-long financial aid to her. Morosini's sister counted on her footballer brother for financial and emotional support ever since their parents died seven years ago.

"We know the situation of his sister and we as a team, the club, and Udinese for Life have decided to help her because she is in real need," Di Natale told the club's TV channel. Udinese for Life is a medical charity linked to the club.

Yet another gesture of support was offered by the Italian Football Federation, who announced on Monday that a minute's silence would be held at all games in the country until 22 April.