Samsung Galaxy S Plus has received the latest Android 2.3.6 firmware XXKQI. Although the firmware has been released for European countries, users will still be able to flash the firmware on their Galaxy S Plus via Odin. The Galaxy S Plus that was released in July 2011 ran the Android 2.3 operating system. It is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset with a 1.4GHz processor.
Check out the steps on how to upgrade Samsung Galaxy S Plus to Android 2.3.6 build XXKQI. IBTimes UK advises users there is a risk of data damage and advises users to proceed at their own risk. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible for any consequences.
Requirements: The method is compatible with Samsung Galaxy S Plus with model number i9001. Check the model number by heading to Settings > About phone. We advise users to make a back-up of all data and APN settings. Make sure that the device's battery is charged up to 75 percent or more.
- Download drivers for the device from here and install them on your PC
- Download firmware XXKQI and extract the file on your PC. On extracting the file you will get below contents:
- Download Odin and OPS file
- Switch off your phone and put it on Download mode. To do so, press and hold Volume down + Home + Power buttons until an Android icon in yellow shows up on screen
- Launch Odin by double-clicking the file downloaded in step 3.1
- Inside Odin, press OPS button and select AriesVE.ops file downloaded in step 3.2
- Enable One Package option and then click on the One Package button. Now, choose the I9001XXKQI_I9001XXKPM_I9001OXFKQ3_HOME.tar.md5 file
- Connect your phone to PC via USB cable. You will see "Added!!" under Odin's message box. If you do not see the message then perhaps there is an issue with drivers. Check whether you have installed the drivers properly
- Click Start button to start flashing firmware
[Note: If Odin gets stuck at some point of time then unplug the phone from PC, close Odin, remove battery and re-insert, turn on phone in Download mode and perform method from step 5]
- After flashing, your device will reboot by itself. In case, the phone will reboot into recovery mode then choose reboot system now using Home button and boot up into XXKQI firmware
- In some cases, after you get the PASS message, the device might get stuck. If it happens, perform the following steps to make it boot. If you have already booted your device then your phone has been updated and you need not perform the steps.
§ Boot to recovery mode, to do so turn off the phone by removing battery and re-inserting it. Now, press and hold Volume Up + Power buttons both together until you see a Samsung logo. As soon as you see an icon that shows up an Android in a box press the Menu button to enter to recovery
§ Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and choose "Yes" to confirm
§ Select Wipe Cache and choose "Yes" to confirm
§ Select reboot system now to reboot the phone
You have now installed XXKQI firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S Plus.
[Information Courtesy: The Android Soul]