Owen Farrell
Owen Farrell kept his nerve late on to ensure Saracens progressed to the final at Twickenham. Getty Images

Saracens will face Bath for the right to be crowned 2014/15 Aviva Premiership champions after an entertaining 29-24 semi-final victory over Northampton Saints at an atmospheric Franklin's Gardens.

In a brutally physical affair that certainly did not lack the necessary commitment, Mark McCall's side took the lead through David Strettle after just three minutes but the hosts levelled at 7-7 soon after through a converted penalty try that occurred with prop Mako Vunipola in the sin bin.

Owen Farrell and fellow England fly-half David Meyler then exchanged penalties to leave a punishing tie evenly balanced at 13-13 heading into the second half.

Northampton drew first blood after the break through another Meyler kick, but their slender lead was quickly erased when Jamie George finished off a strong driving maul.

Farrell's next penalty looked to have given Saracens the breathing space they so desperately desired at 23-16 yet once again the momentum swung sharply as Tom Wood went over to reduce the gap to just two points.

Meyler missed the subsequent conversion, however, and Farrell showed plenty of admirable composure to add two more penalties, including a late clincher that effectively put the game beyond Northampton, who themselves could only muster a late consolation from the tee.

In the second semi-final, Bath got off to a blistering start against their old rivals Leicester as towering wing Matt Banahan touched down with less than two minutes on the clock following good work from Jonathan Joseph.

Leicester were humiliated 45-0 on their last visit to the Rec in September, but Freddie Burns' penalty ensured they at least troubled the scoreboard on this occasion before Banahan grabbed his second score of the afternoon.

Kyle Eastmond was the next man to cross the line after he collected Semesa Rokoduguni's chip down the right touchline and Aviva Premiership player of the season and former Tigers 10 George Ford was on hand to convert all three tries for a 21-3 lead.

A bout of ill-discipline then saw Bath reduced to 13 players as both Anthony Watson and Leroy Houston were shown yellow cards by referee JP Doyle.

Leicester looked to respond immediately but were denied a try in the left-hand corner when the television match official ruled that Niall Morris had dropped the ball under pressure from Rokoduguni.

The visitors did make their advantage before half-time through hooker Tom Youngs, though, with Burns' subsequent kick making it 21-10 at the break.

If Richard Cockerill was expecting his side to continue their fightback in the second 40 minutes, then he will have been sorely disappointed as this delightful Bath side asserted their dominance with four more tries.

Veteran Irish scrum-half Peter Stringer, due to join Sale Sharks next season, was first to go over after strong play from Francois Louw and Ford further extended a commanding lead after receiving the ball from Rokoduguni.

Banahan secured the first hat-trick in Premiership semi-final history following a lung-busting run from Watson and the latter then completed the scoring to secure a devastating 47-10 victory for Mike Ford's men.

The final will take place on 30 May at Twickenham.