Saudi Arabia has donated £60m ($100m) to support the international counter-terrorism centre under the United Nations, it was announced.
Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz called for joint global efforts to combat terrorism.
"We should understand that terrorism will not disappear within a limited period. So we have to be prepared for a long fight with terrorism. Whenever we try to tighten the noose it could become increasingly aggressive and violent. But we have strong faith in God that it would be defeated," he said.
During a ceremony at the United Nations, in the presence of UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, the Saudi Ambassador to the United States, Adel al-Jubeir, announced the decision.
He said: "Terrorism is an evil that must be eradicated from the world through international efforts . The [UNCCT] is the only centre in the world that has the legitimacy to combat terrorism."
The move has attracted a wave of criticism, with critics demanding the UN to launch an investigation into the ISIS funding by the Saudi government, as well as the rights violations within the Saudi Kingdom.
— Ali AlAhmed (@AliAlAhmed_en) August 8, 2014
— Khabarism (@khabarist) July 29, 2014
Harrowing human rights violations in the Kingdom
Quite recently, #FreeThe4 movement took over Twitter, with activists from around the world standing in solidarity to protest against the imprisonment of Princess Sahar and three of her sisters in the king's palace.
The princesses were advocating for equal rights for women when the King confined them to a house arrest.
Justin King from the Anti-Media noted: "The reason the United States and other Western nations will not force a 'happily ever after' ending to this story rests on the fact the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is one of the strongest US allies in the region, despite the deplorable living conditions of its subjects. If the same situation was occurring in Syria to President Assad's daughters, it is an almost certainty that the media would be covering the story in a way that advocated intervention."
The United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT) was set up in 2011 to strengthen the UN's counter terrorism expertise and efforts.
Several countries have contributed towards the UNCCT, including the United States, Germany and Britain.
Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the UN, Abdullah Al-Mouallimi, added: "The Kingdom gives aid to countries in and outside the region to help combat terrorism."
Attack on Gaza: A Saudi Royal Appointment
Several critics have gone as far as blaming Saudi Arabia for the bloodshed in Gaza. In his article in the Huffington Post Post, David Hearst stated:
"There are many hands behind the Israeli army's onslaught on Gaza. The attack on Gaza comes by Saudi Royal Appointment. This royal warrant is nothing less than an open secret in Israel, and both former and serving defense officials are relaxed when they talk about it.
"Former Israeli defense minister Shaul Mofaz surprised the presenter on Channel 10 by saying Israel had to specify a role for Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates in the demilitarization of Hamas. Asked what he meant by that, he added that Saudi and Emirati funds should be used to rebuild Gaza after Hamas had been defanged."
Heast added: "This Saudi Israeli alliance is forged in blood, Palestinian blood."