South Korean prosecutors have confirmed they will question under-fire President Park Geun-hye over allegations of corruption which span more than four decades.
If Park agrees, it will be the first time a sitting president has been questioned by prosecutors.
Presidential privilege would shield Park from prosecution, except in cases of treason, however she previously said she would not use this protection to avoid giving testimony.
"The face-to-face questioning of President Park should be conducted by this Tuesday or Wednesday (16 November) at the latest," an official from the prosecutors' office confirmed to the South Korean Yonhap news agency.
The questioning will be about her possible role in the corruption scandal which led to the arrest of close confidant Choi Soon-Sil on 3 November.
Park, South Korea's first female president, is accused of pressuring corporations to donate millions to non-for-profit organisations in the name of Choi, which were then funnelled back to her own holdings, in return for access.
Executives from Samsung, Hyundai and IT firm SK Group are all linked in the scandal and will also be questioned, it has been reported.
Prosecutors have said they have to wrap up an investigation into Park before 20 November when the legal period of Choi's detention expires.
In a tearful national address on 4 November, Park said the scandal was "all my fault".
"These latest developments are all my fault and were caused by my carelessness," she said, adding that she had suffered "excruciating heartbreak" for being the cause of so much public concern and distress.
However, the address did little to calm the public's discontent at the allegations.
Hundreds of thousands of protestors lined the streets on Saturday (12 November) calling for Park's immediate resignation.
It was thought to be the largest rally held in South Korea since the democratic uprising of 1987, with protesters chanting "Park Geun-hye, step down!" as they approached Gyeongbok Palace, where Park's presidential office is located.