Firefighters called to the incident in west London at around 7:30am (London Fire Brigade)
Firefighters called to the incident in west London at around 7:30am (London Fire Brigade)

Police have confirmed that a man and a woman have been found dead at an address in Hounslow following a suspected gas explosion.

The bodies were found following the explosion in west London in which three houses were destroyed.

Police have now confirmed that the body of a man in his 40s has been discovered in the rubble. Detectives believe they know the identity of the man and next of kin have been informed.

Police are working to establish the identity of the woman.

Three people - a man and two women - were taken to hospital following the blast.

The man received treatment for a cut to the face, and one woman received treatment for a cut to the ear. Both have since been dischaged.

The second woman remains in hospital after suffering burns on her hand.

It is believed the explosion may have been a result of strong winds from the St Jude storm knocking over a tree which ruptured a gas main.

Five people and three dogs escaped from the properties before firefighters arrived at the scene.

Twenty five people were evacuated from surrounding properties as a precaution following the explosion.

London Fire Brigade station manager Matt Burrows said: "When I arrived I was greeted by a scene of utter devastation and three houses had been completely destroyed. Debris was scattered over an area of about 50 metres and the roof of one of the houses was in a tree across the road.

"We're still investigating whether the fallen tree caused the gas explosion or whether the gas explosion caused the tree to fall. It's likely firefighters will be on scene for much of the rest of the day.

"My thoughts, and those with everyone at the London Fire Brigade, are with all of the people who have been affected by this awful incident," he added.

Four fire engines and more than 20 firefighters remain on the scene to determine the cause of the explosion.

Two people have already died as a result of falling trees as the St Jude storm battered parts of Britain. A 17-year-old girl died after a falling tree killed her in her sleep in Kent.

Ch Supt Steve Corbishly from Kent Police said: "She was in a static home adjoining the house she lives in with her family. Tragically, she did die at the scene. It's not being treated as suspicious but we're working with Fire and Rescue to determine the exact cause."

A 50-year-old man was also killed in Watford after a tree fell on his car.

David Cameron described the loss of life as a result of Jude's storm as "hugely regrettable".

The storm caused travel chaos across southern Britain, with many rail services being forced to cancel during morning services.

More than 580,000 homes were also left without power as the strong winds caused power cuts to the South West, South, South East, the Midlands and the East of England.

The Environment Agency has also issued six flood warnings - meaning flooding is expected - across eastern and south western areas of England as well as the Midlands.

They have also issued more than 110 flood alerts - where flooding is possible - across most of England and Wales.