At least 31 people have been killed after two bombs exploded in the Nigerian city of Jos, the Plateau State capital.
The explosions took place in a busy makeshift market near the main bus station in the heavily populated area, on Thursday, 11 December. The makeshift arrangement was set up after twin explosions ripped through the main market in May this year, wherein more than 100 people were killed.
"The bodies recovered so far are 31 but rescue workers are at the scene and the figures may change," said Pam Ayuba, spokesperson for the state's governor Jonah Jang.
The explosions took place when Muslims were preparing for evening prayers and shop-owners were shutting-shop for the day.
Some of the victims have sustained serious and critical injuries increasing the likelihood of a higher death toll.
"I saw a flash of light and heard a loud boom. Afterwards there was debris everywhere and mutilated bodies," Tanko Mohammed, a witness, told Reuters.
Islamist group Boko Haram is suspected to be behind the attack, as it bears hallmarks of the extremist organisation.
In the wake of the latest onslaught, the Nigerian army is claimed to have uncovered Boko Haram's plan to launch similar attacks in no less than five states.
"There are 25 towns and communities mentioned in the Balmo Forest hit list of the sect recovered by the troops. Seven of the villages are in Adamawa while the rest are in four other states, all in the North East. The states are Bauchi, Gombe, Yobe and Borno," a security source told local daily Nigerian Monitor.