Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8020 users can now enjoy the latest KitKat features on their tablet, thanks to the release of Android 4.4.2 CyanogenMod 11 ROM by XDA recognised member, Simon94. This ROM has been ported through official nightly builds created by XDA recognised developer, Sbrissen.
The CM11 ROM is based on the original Android Open Source Project (AOSP) which runs without installing Google apps. It brings stock-like Android experience with basic features ported from Google source code.
Known Issues and Bugs
Though the ROM is reportedly fully functional, it may harbour a few untested bugs and glitches. XDA Developers has reported that only Bluetooth Voice Search is not working, while the rest of the issues seem to be fixed with the latest build of CM11 ROM dated 13 January, 2014.
Interested users can follow our step-by-step guide to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat via CyanogenMod 11 ROM on their Galaxy Note 10.1. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The Android 4.4.2 CyanogenMod 11 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8020 model only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Verify that your tablet has access to the latest custom recovery tools such as TWRP v184.108.40.206 and higher or CWM v220.127.116.11 and above.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing tablet setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy Note 10.1 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (NOTE: Tap the device's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings.) Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure the phone is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with the latest ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery (v18.104.22.168) installed.
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat CyanogenMod 11 ROM Unofficial (dated 2014-01-13)
- PA_Gapps for Android 4.4.2 (dated 17-01-2014)
- CWM Recovery v22.214.171.124 for Note 10.1 N8020
Steps to Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update on Galaxy S Advance I9070 with CyanogenMod 11 ROM
Step-1: Download Android 4.4.2 CyanogenMod 11 ROM for Galaxy Note 10.1 to computer
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy Note to computer via USB cable. Without extracting, copy the downloaded firmware zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of phone.
The Android 4.4.2 CM11 ROM can be installed on the Galaxy Note 10.1 N8020 using either CWM or TWRP recovery. Follow any method based on the recovery mode installed on your device.
How to Install Android 4.4.2 CyanogenMod 11 ROM via ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery
- Power off the tablet and wait for 5 to 10 seconds until the device shuts down completely.
- Now press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen and the device boots into recovery mode. NOTE: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option.
- Perform Wipe data/Factory reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress) and choose Yes on next screen to confirm the action. Then perform Wipe Cache Partition and once again hit Yes to confirm.
- From the main menu of CWM recovery, go to Advanced and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache. Then hit Yes on next screen to confirm.
- Select Install Zip from sdcard and then click Choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the location of the CM11 ROM firmware file which you copied earlier to your tablet. Choose Yes on next screen to confirm the ROM installation.
- Repeat the previous step to install Google Apps as well. Once again perform Wipe Data/Factory Reset from recovery screen.
- Now select "+++++Go Back+++++"and reboot the device by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. Your Galaxy Note 10.1 will restart and it may take about 5 minutes for first boot. So, do not interrupt the process.
Your Galaxy Note 10.1 N8020 is now running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat via CyanogenMod 11 ROM. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware installed.
How to Install Android 4.4.2 CyanogenMod 11 ROM via TWRP Recovery
- Power off the phone and wait for 5 to 10 seconds until the device shuts down completely.
- Now press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together, until the Samsung logo appears on screen and the device boots into recovery mode. NOTE: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option.
- Perform Wipe data/Factory reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress). To do so, tap on Wipe and scroll down to the bottom of the screen and do a Swipe on "Swipe to factory reset" option.
- Now perform a System format by selecting Wipe > Advanced Wipe and then tap on System option. Scroll to the bottom of screen and do a swipe on "Swipe to Wipe" option.
- Tap on install and navigate to the CM11 ROM zip file you copied earlier to your tablet. Scroll to the bottom of screen and do a swipe on Swipe to confirm flash option to begin installing the firmware.
- Repeat the previous step to flash Google apps as well.
- Once Google Apps is also installed, select reboot and then tap on System to reboot your device. Your Galaxy Note 10.1 will restart and it may take about 5 minutes for first boot to complete. So, do not interrupt the process.
Your Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8020 is now running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat via CyanogenMod 11 ROM. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware installed.
NOTE: If the device gets stuck at boot loop (while rebooting), then just do a factory reset from recovery mode to fix the issue.