HTC One V, the youngest sibling of the One-series, gets yet another Jelly Bean update based on AOKP ROM, thanks to the industrious efforts of Android developers at XDA. The ROM ports the latest Jelly Bean features to the phone including butter smooth interface, enhanced and highly-customised notifications, smart and accurate keyboard, new Google Search experience with advanced voice recognition, and a plethora of custom tweaks to the ROM for a blazing fast performance.
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are compatible with the CDMA version of HTC One V (PrimoC) only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device\'s model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings including bookmarks, contacts, SMS and APNs to avoid data loss while installing the Jelly Bean update.
- It is necessary to unlock the bootloader and install ClockworkMod recovery on your HTC One V before performing the firmware update.
It must be noted that the AOKP ROM is an unofficial release and hence it may include untested bugs or broken features. Here is the complete list of known bugs and issues (not working), as cited by the developer:
- WiFi hotspot
- Clock FCs at times
- Camera on lockscreen just goes to a black camera
- Auto Brightness
- If Play Store doesn\'t work on first boot, go into Settings>Apps>All and clear data on Play Store and Google Frameworks Services
How to Install AOKP Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Update on HTC One V
Step 1: Download the latest version of AOKP ROM from XDA Developers official forum (Download here).
Step 2: Download the Google Apps package: Download Gapps
Step 3: Without extracting, copy the two zip files downloaded in step 1 and 2 to the SD card on the phone.
Step 4: [Backup Current ROM] In case you want to revert backto your current ROM from CM10, you should make a backup of it (this is different than the backup taken in step 1 as this backs up the whole ROM).
- Power off your phone and boot into the bootloader mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down and power buttons together until the device turns on. Then, highlight Recovery option using the volume buttons and select it with the power button to boot into recovery. In recovery, use volume button to navigate and the power button to select.
- Now, take a Nandroid Backup as follows: Choose Backup and Restore and on the next screen, hit Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done and then tap reboot system now to reboot the phone.
Step 6: Download fastboot.
Step 7: Extract the Fastboot.zip file to the C: drive on your computer to get a folder named Fastboot with four files in it.
Step 8: Copy the boot.img file extracted in step 5 to the Fastboot folder on C drive. You should now have 5 files in the Fastboot folder.
Step 9: Power off the phone and boot into the bootloader mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and power buttons together. Then, choose fastboot mode from there using the volume buttons to navigate and power button to select. Finally, connect your phone to the computer in fastboot mode.
Step 10: On the computer, navigate to Start menu \" All Programs \" Accessories \" right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator (or simply select Open if you don\'t get the option to run as administrator).
Step 11: Now, enter the following commands in command prompt to flash the kernel, and pressing Enter after each command.
- cd c:Fastboot
- fastboot devices (this is to ensure the phone gets detected. A string of numbers and letters should appear if the phone is correctly recognised. Else, make sure you have the correct phone drivers installed)
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
Step 12: After the kernel is flashed, you\'ll see a finished/OKAY message in command prompt.
Step 13: Now, disconnect your phone from the PC and choose \'HBOOT\' using the Power button. And then tap \'RECOVERY\' to boot into recovery mode.
Use volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select options in bootloader menu and recovery.
Step 14: Hit wipe data/factory reset and then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the data wipe process completes.
Step 15: Choose install zip from sdcard and then hit choose zip from sdcard. Browse and select the ROM file on the SD card and click Yes to confirm on next screen. The ROM will begin installing.
Step 16: After ROM is installed, tap choose zip from sdcard again, then choose the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps (GApps) package.
Step 17: After GApps is installed, hit go back then tap reboot system now to reboot the phone into AOKP ROM
NOTE:If you want to return to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as explained in step 4.1), choose backup and restore, then hit restore to revert back to your previous ROM.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your HTC One V.
[Source: The Android Soul]