An earthquake hit parts of Kent in the early hours of Friday (22 May) morning and it wasn't long after no injuries or structural damage to properties were reported that the Twittersphere mocked the overreaction generated.
On the other hand, as Britons get ready to enjoy a #BankHolidayWeekend, Ireland is going to the polls to decide whether to change its constitution to allow same-sex marriage, and the #VoteYes hashtag is competing with the #FridayFeeling to be trending topic worldwide.
Read on to see the top stories and subjects trending across the web.
Google trends UK – Top 5
- Earthquake - 10,000+ searches
- Aidy Ward - 20,000+ searches
- Premier League - 20,000+ searches
- David Letterman - 20,000+ searches
- Steve Finnan - 20,000+ searches
Twitter trends UK – Top 10 (as of 12.00pm BST)
- George Best
- Kezia Dugdale
- Arthur Conan Doyle
Facebook trends - Top 5
- Gary Anderson: Darts Player Defeats Michael Van Gerwen, 11-7, to Win Premier League Title
- Sennen: Cornwall Dog, Credited With Saving 3 Lives, Dies
- Dwayne Johnson: Actor Officiates Surprise Wedding for Fan Who Was Going to Interview Him
- Prosecco: Producer Says Wine Might Be in Short Supply This Summer
- Korean Air: Court Suspends Jail Time for Airline Executive's Daughter in 'Nut Rage' Charge
Alexa Trends – Top 10
- Josh Duggar
- Emma Sulkowicz
- David Letterman
- Golden State Warriors
- Red Nose Day
- office pranks
- Ray Rice
Most shared stories
- Rape victim wrongly arrested by police awarded £20,000.
- Airliner 'nut rage' woman freed from jail.
- Ice addict in hospital emergency department gouged out his own eyeballs and ate them.
- Woman accused of sorcery in Papua New Guinea axed to death.
- France to ban food waste in supermarkets.
- Man begs bus company for help after losing bag containing cheating sex tape.