The CyanogenMod team has released CynogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) nightly builds adding support for some of the Sony's Xperia series devices such as Xperia T, Xperia TX, Xperia V, Xperia ZL and the company's flagship smartphone Xperia Z.
The nightly build brings Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update for the Xperia Z which is currently running on Android 4.1.2.
Xperia Z users, who cannot wait for the official Android 4.2.2 rollout and wish to install the same using CM10.1 nightly ROM, may follow our step-by-step guide below.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are advised to ensure that their devices meet the below-mentioned requirements before following the installation guide.
1) Install USB Driver for Sony Xperia Z on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial may wipe out all data of the device, create a backup before proceeding. If the tablet is having a custom recovery such as CWM/TWRP installed, then back up the data using the same since it creates a complete image of the existing phone set up.
4) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
5) The bootloader of the phone should be unlocked.
6) The Xperia Z should have 80 per cent charge.
7) If the phone gets stuck on boot or experiences boot loop, then perform wipe cache partition and Dalvik cache wipe a few more times before rebooting.
8) The CM10.1 nightly build is compatible only with Sony Xperia Z. Applying this to any other variant might brick the device.
Steps to install CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean nightly ROM on Sony Xperia Z
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Connect the Xperia Z to the computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone
Note: Do not extract any files.
4) Disconnect the phone from the computer and turn the device off
5) Boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing the Volume Up button few times while booting
Note: In recovery mode, use Volume buttons to scroll between the options and the Power button to select the desired option.
6) Perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later if the new one does not work or in case users wish to go back to the previous firmware version. To perform backup, select Backup and Restore then on the next screen select Backup again. Once the action is completed, return to the recovery menu
7) Perform data wiping task by selecting wipe data/factory reset. Then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for some time until the data wipe is completed and then go to the recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition and after the wiping process is over select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping
8) Select install zip from sdcard and then select choose zip from sdcard. Now locate the CM10.1 Jelly Bean ROM earlier copied to the SD card. Press the Power button to select it and then confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM installation will now begin
9) Once the ROM is installed, follow the similar procedure as step-8 to install Google Apps package
10) When the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot into the customised CM10.1 Jelly Bean ROM. The first boot will take some time
Note: To return to the previous ROM, boot the phone into recovery mode. Then select backup and restore and restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10.1 custom ROM based on Android 4.2.2 is now installed and running on the Sony Xperia Z. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version of the device.
Click here for step-by-step guide to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean AOKP JB-MR1 nightly on Sony Xperia Z.
[Source: Android Jinn]