Apple has just rolled out its first beta iteration of the iOS 8.1 update for developer testing, while an earlier report suggested that the company is already working on the next few iOS 8 upgrades including iOS 8.2 and iOS 8.3.
The pre-release iOS 8.1 software with build number 12B401 is now available for download via Developer Center for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Apple TV.
iOS 8.1 can be installed on the following iOS devices:
iPhone 4S; iPhone 5; iPhone 5c; iPhone 5s; iPhone 6; iPhone 6 Plus; iPad 2; iPad (third-generation); iPad (fourth-generation); iPad Air; iPad mini; iPad mini with Retina display; and iPod touch (fifth-generation).
The latest version of Apple's mobile OS features more open source content with support for third-party keyboards, interactive notifications and widgets alongside a few noteworthy changes.
Some of the key changes added to iOS 8.1 update are as follows (courtesy of iPhone Hacks):
- Enable/disable Dictation in Keyboard Settings;
- Recently Added is now renamed as 'Camera Roll in Photos';
- iBooks Icon redesigned to match recent promotional materials;
- Redesigned icons for third-party app permissions;
- Hidden Settings for Apple Play; and
- Other changes include larger icons in Notification Center widget view and bug-fixes.
Direct Download Links
- iPad Air (Model A1474)
- iPad Air (Model A1475)
- iPad Air (Model A1476)
- iPad mini (Model A1489)
- iPad mini (Model A1490)
- iPad mini (Model A1491)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1458)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1459)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1460)
- iPad mini (Model A1432)
- iPad mini (Model A1454)
- iPad mini (Model A1455)
- iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT)
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 5s (Model A1453, A1533)
- iPhone 5s (Model A1457, A1518, A1528, A1530)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1456, A1532)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1507, A1516, A1526, A1529)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1428)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1429)
- iPhone 4s
Those who need assistance in installing the iOS 8.1 beta firmware manually can follow our step-by-step guide posted here.