Manchester United have been handed a possibly decisive boost in their hopes of signing Fiorentina's Juan Cuadrado after Barcelona appeared to end their interest in the Colombian.
The Catalan giants have been heavily linked with a move for Cuadrado over the course of the summer as a possible replacement for Dani Alves, whose role at the club came under severe scrutiny following the appointment of new manager Luis Enrique.
However, reports in the Spanish press have suggested Barcelona have been dissuaded by Fiorentina's £32m valuation of their player. The club have instead focused their attention in recruiting another option down the right having opened talks to sign Douglas Pereira dos Santos from Brazilian club Sao Paulo, while making attempts to mend their relationship with Alves.
When quizzed on the Brazilian's future by reporters, Barcelona's sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta said: "Alves is a Barcelona player and we totally count on him. He played a great game yesterday."
Meanwhile, the club are edging closer to signing 24-year-old Douglas in a move that be a further indication of their fading interest in Cuadrado.
Sao Paulo confirmed on Monday talks between the two clubs are well underway and although a deal is yet to be confirmed, they remain confident of coming to an agreement in the coming days.
Cuadrado remains heavily linked with a move to United where manager Louis van Gaal has made no secret of his desire to add greater quality in wide positions.
While there has been no indication of a formal offer for the player Colombian international Cuadrado, who is equally adept at right wing back and ring wing, was recently left out of the club's squad for their friendly victory over Real Madrid, sparking further speculation of an imminent exit.
Despite manager Vincenzo Montella recently declaring he has "never thought of losing Juan," La Viola owner Andrea Della Valle recently confirmed the player would like to leave the club should the right offer come in.
"If an important offer were to come in we would have to let him go," Della Valle said earlier this month. "The boy is honest and serious and if the offer comes in we'll let him go. However, I have reiterated that he could stay another year. The chances of him staying? I do not know the percentages but it will be difficult to keep him."