Boxing champion Amir Khan was arrested in Bolton on Friday, after allegedly attacking two teenagers.

The 27-year-old former World Champion and Olympic silver medallist was arrested at 1.30am following an incident in Russell Street, Bolton, as his alleged victims were returning from a nearby mosque.

Police said the two men, both aged 19 and known to Khan, were hurt in the incident, but not seriously. One man is believed to have suffered an injury to his cheek and the other to his leg.

Witnesses said the alleged attack happened after the sports star pulled up alongside the group of men in a Mercedes C Class in front of Velden Engineering.

A woman, who did not want to be named, told reporters that she heard "a lot of noise" and that there was a man on the floor.

Witnesses claim the incident started when a member of the group was accused of giving 'cheek' to a friend of the boxer.

Another witness, who wanted to remain anonymous, claimed: "Amir was saying 'Don't you know who I am, I am AK'. We have always looked up to him as a role model with him being a Muslim and successful. It is going to cause tension in the community. He is a world champion, an adult, the people involved are aged 19.'

A woman, who also did not want to reveal her identity, added: "I could hear a lot of noise and I saw Amir's car. Then I saw him get out of the car. Then he drove off and there was a man on the floor."

A spokesman from Tangerine PR, which represents the Olympic silver medallist, told the newspaper: "Amir Khan was arrested on suspicion of common assault in the early hours of Friday July 4.

"Amir has since been released without charge on bail pending further enquiries. At the stage we are unable to comment further on this matter."

A police spokesman, confirmed the reports saying: "Just before 1.30am on Friday, police were called following reports of an assault in Bolton.

"A 27-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of two section 47 assaults and remains in police custody for questioning."

The former WBA and IBF light welterweight champion has been released on bail until mid July.

In a previous brush with the law, Amir Khan was arrested in March, 2006, in Bradshawgate, Bolton town centre, after a pedestrian was injured in an accident involving the boxer's BMW 654 convertible.

Geoffrey Hatton had to have a metal rode inserted in his leg following the crash.

Khan was cleared of dangerous driving but convicted of driving without due care and attention, fined £1,000 and banned from the road for six months.

In October 2012, the boxer was knocked to the ground and robbed outside a bar in Birmingham.

The incident occurred after masked men had threatened to attack him via a sinister YouTube message.