England has won its Euro qualifying game against Wales.

England began well, dominating possession, although Wales put in some aggressive challenges to attackers.

The first chance came when Wayne Rooney sent an excellent pass to Glen Johnson, who completely failed to make anything out of it. Wales took the opportunity to break but could also make nothing of their chance.

England got a much clearer shot when James Collins put in an awkward tackle against Ashley Cole in the Welsh penalty area. A penalty was duly awarded and Lampard slammed it into the back of the net. England 1 - Wales 0.

The goal gave greater confidence to England, who continued to dominate proceedings, holding onto possession and denying the Welsh.

England took advantage of their dominance with Darren Bent getting on the end of a cross and making it 2-0 for England.

Shortly after Rooney attempted to make it free, but shot a cross from Ashley Young wide. Young attempted to tee up the striker again but Rooney failed even to connect the second time. The third attempt was much better but still failed to find the goal.

Wales finally managed to launch a minor strikeback however, but it all came to nothing when Aaron Ramsey gave possession away to Glen Johnson.

With less than ten minutes to go till half time Rooney managed to pick up a yellow card after knocking over Joe Ledley.

Ashley Young, after giving everyone else a chance to score decided to have a go himself, but only succeeded in sending the ball over the bar. Young resumed his crossing and passing into the Welsh box, only to be cleared by James Collins.

With minutes to go in the first half Andy King attempted to get one back for Wales, only to send the ball to England keeper Joe Hart.

In the second half, despite some early promise from Wales, England once again resumed their dominance, with Ashley Young again attempting to tee up Rooney, but not for the first time, to no avail.

Wales again attempted to at least get a chance on goal, with Craig Bellamy sending a ball to Andy King, who could not quite get it. A second attempt by the pair went rather better with King getting a shot off, albeit an inaccurate and ineffective one.

More chances came for Wales, with Aaron Ramsey trying a shot, only to send it over the England bar.

After the mini fightback by Wales, Lampard took a free kick into the Welsh area, but the ball was cleared by Wayne Hennesy, Wales break but England too are able to clear the ball away.

With 25 minutes to go and still 2-0 down Wales brought on Ched Evans and David Vaughan for Steve Morison and Andy King. Vaughan made his presence felt immediately with an excellent tackle on an advancing Ashley Cole.

England again tried but failed to kill the game with Wilshere shooting over the bar after receiving a pass from Rooney. Following Wales' changes England brought on James Milner for Wayne Rooney.

With less than 20 minutes to go Wales got a spate of corners with Craig Bellamy and Joe Ledley posing a danger to England. But good defending and goalkeeping from England ensure the score remains at 2-0.

Following the spate of corners came a flock of yellow cards, the first for David Vaughan for tackle on Wilshere, the second for Bellamy for remonstrating with the Portuguese referee and a third for Glen Johnson for knocking Ched Evans. Shortly after the flurry yet another yellow card was shown to James Collins for shirt pulling.

With just minutes to go England very nearly made it 3-0 when Stewart Downing whizz the ball just past the Welsh goalpost. Craig Bellamy attempted to salvage some late honour as well with a shot which gave keeper Joe Hart his biggest test of the night. Unfortunately for Wales Hart passed the test, leaving the final score at 3-0. England move to the top of their group, while Wales stay at the bottom.