A 12-year-old girl who died as a result of an allergic reaction to her dinner told her dad "I don't want to die" as she collapsed into his arms, an inquest has heard.

Holly Stuckey, of Maesteg, near Bridgend, south Wales, fell unconscious from a sudden anaphylactic shock which experts said might have been caused by her food.

An inquest was told that Holly was "fit and well" and had eaten the meal less than an hour before she fell unconscious.

Dr Richard Pumphrey, one of the country's top allergy experts, said it was possible that the chips she had as part of her meal could have triggered the reaction.

"She had eaten chips and there have been occasions when chips have contained something other than potato," he said.

"It is a possibility. It has been reported in the past but we are struggling to find a cause."

The inquest heard that Holly Stuckey suffered from asthma but had no other medical problems.

Her father, Clive, said: "I did her curry and chips but she didn't eat much - she was a picky child.

"After the meal, she was complaining she had trouble breathing. She had two puffs on her blue inhaler and one on her purple one.

"She was saying: 'I don't want to die.' I was telling her to calm down and relax to help her get her breath back."

He took his daughter to the bathroom where she fell unconscious and he gave her CPR while her mother rang 999.

He added: "I have been trained in what to do because of my work - I have fetched a few people back. I did my best. I wish I could have done more."

Since her death, a Facebook page has been set up in her memory where friends have left tributes.

One said: "Times going too fast holl:( wish i could bring you back:'( i'll try and come up too see you tomorrow baby! happy birthday for tomorrow too! i'll try getting through it for you, sleep tight baby. i love you. and nothing will change that, bffl hasnt changed either"