Hakeem Hussain
Seven-year-old Hakeem Hussain was found dead on the morning of 26 November


  • Hakeem Hussain found dead after going into cardiac arrest.
  • Mother and great uncle arrested arrested on suspicion of ill-treating a child.
  • Ambulance service said 'there was nothing we could do' to save the boy.

The mother and great-uncle of a seven-year-old boy who died outside his home in freezing weather have been arrested. The boy is believed to have "suffered hypothermia", according to Birmingham Mail.

The boy, identified as Hakeem Hussain, was found dead outside his house in the Nechells suburb of Birmingham on the morning of 26 November in near sub-zero temperatures.

Emergency services described how there was "nothing we could do" to save the boy after he was found in cardiac arrest.

A post-mortem examination is due to take place to determine Hakeem's cause of death.

The boy's mother, Laura Heath, 35, and her uncle Timothy Busk, 56, were later arrested on suspicion of ill-treating a child. Both have been bailed pending further investigations.

The boy had been attending the nearby Nechells Primary Academy. Following his death, headteacher Julie Wright wrote to parents saying counselling is available to all pupils.

She said: "This loss to our academy community is sure to raise many emotions and concerns for our staff and pupils. We currently cannot provide any further information, however we would like to reassure you that there will be dedicated support in place at this difficult time.

"We are working with Birmingham City Council to ensure that staff and pupils have access to grief and bereavement counsellors. We are saddened by the loss to our academy community and will make every effort to support you and your child as you need."

A West Midlands Police spokesperson said: "A man and woman were arrested on suspicion of wilfully ill-treating a child after a seven-year-old boy was found deceased at a property in Cook Street, Nechells, on Sunday, November 26, just after 7.30am.

"The 56-year-old man and woman, aged 35, have been released under investigation while enquiries continue."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesperson said: "We were called to reports of a cardiac arrest at a property on Cook Street in Nechells shortly after 7.30am on Sunday morning.

"Two ambulances and a paramedic officer attended the scene and arrived to find a boy in cardiac arrest. Sadly, nothing could be done to save the child and he was confirmed dead on scene."