A 30-year-old Scottish Sikh man who was arrested and allegedly tortured by police in India has been taken into police custody again, according to campaigners.

Jagtar Singh Johal appeared in court in Punjab on Friday (17 November) and was moved to judicial custody, the Sikh Federation UK said. Campaigners hoped that his transfer meant the "physical torture" would come to an end.

The federation told The Independent that that Johal was later returned to police custody for the next two days without charge. Johal was reportedly take to an area magistrate by police from another district.

His legal team is reportedly concerned that this transfer will be used to attempt to "falsely link him" to unsolved cases in the district.

Johal, from Dumbarton in West Dunbartonshire, was detained in Jalandhar in the state of Punjab on 4 November. Sikh Federation UK said no official charges have been brought against Johal. However, local media reported that his arrest was linked to the killing of Hindu leaders.

The 30-year-old told lawyers he has been tortured with "body separation techniques and electrocution to body parts".

The federation said Johal had a brief meeting with his in-laws and a UK official, but business cards from his legal team and the British High Commission representative were later taken from him.

"Many are asking why Jagtar was not allowed the business cards for his two lawyers or for the British High Commission representative or allowed to accept clothes from his family," Bhai Amrik Singh, chair of the Sikh Federation UK, said.

"The Indian authorities clearly have much to hide and the British and Scottish governments must do much more to secure his release."

According to the Independent, Johal is also allegedly being denied fresh warm clothing. Johal's lawyers reportedly applied for an independent medical examination.

Singh added: "We will be challenging the Foreign Secretary next Tuesday when he appears in the Commons to answer questions from MPs."

Hundreds of Sikhs protested in support of Johal outside the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London on Thursday (16 November),the Independent reported.

Jagtar Singh Johal appeared in court in Punjab on Friday

An FCO spokesman said in a statement: "Our consular staff in New Delhi have visited a British man who has been detained in Punjab. We have met his family to update them and have confirmed that he now has access to his lawyer.

"We take all allegations or concerns of torture and mistreatment very seriously and will follow up with action as appropriate.

"When considering how to act, we will avoid any action that might put the individual in question or any other person that may be affected at risk."

Johal was sent to jail following his latest court appearance and is set to return to court on 30 November.