Galaxy S I9000 users can now enjoy a fast and stable Jelly Bean experience in a lightweight package, thanks to the release of SlimBean Build 5 ROM from the SlimROMs team. The latest iteration of SlimBean ROM is now available for all popular Galaxy S devices including S2 I9100, S2 I9100G, S3 I9300, S I9000, as well as the Note N7000 and Note 2 N7100.
The ROM offers fully-optimised custom features and enhancements such as the revamped Slim Pie themed interface, Voice Shutter app ported from CyanogenMod and a hands-free camera feature that enables you to take photos using the proximity sensor.
SlimBean Build 5 Features and Enhancements
Here is the complete list of features and enhancements supported on the latest version of SlimBean ROM:
- Enhance Slim Pie
- Added second layer (7 buttons max + long-press)
- Faster/Better triggering
- Custom trigger height and gravity
- Option to mirror right PIE on horizontal axis
- Smart Capture
- Hands-free camera
- Update Slim IRC to 2.1.6
- Added Vibration adjustments to Performance (select devices)
- Added and improved more translations
- Changed default launcher after extended tests from Holo to Nova Launcher because it uses less RAM.
- Added actions (mark read/reply/delete) to new (stock) Email notifications
- LED picker overwork
- Added back 0dp navbar values
- Rearrangement recents app switcher
- Phone: Add blacklist unknown numbers functionality
- Contacts: Allow blacklisting numbers from the call stats details menu
- SMS/MMS: Overwork
- Optimisations to syscore
- Optimise again system stability
NOTE: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if device is damaged during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The SlimBean Build 5 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the Galaxy S I9000 modelonly. Verify the device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Samsung Galaxy S I9000 USB drivers)
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or Settings >Applications> Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure the device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rootedwith ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
- If you encounter a Status 7 error message while flashing the firmware, then it could be due to an incompatible device or a necessary kernel may be missing (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S I9000 via SlimBean Build 5 ROM
1. Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
3. Once the file transfer process is complete, Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
4. Boot the phone into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power button together until the screen flashes. Then release all three buttons. NOTE: Use Volume buttons to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid Backup of the phone's current ROM so that it can be restored later, if the new ROM fails to boot or you want to return to the previous ROM. To do a data backup, choose Backup and Restore and then hit Backup on next screen. Return to main recovery screen once backup is done.
6. Perform a full data wipe task to eliminate conflicts between the newly installed ROM and the original ROM. First, choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes and then return to the CWM recovery main menu.
7. Perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes. Then do Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. Once the wiping process completes, proceed to the next step.
8. Choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Now, locate the SlimBean Build 5 ROM zip file that you copied earlier in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and soon the installation process will begin.
9. Once the ROM installation is done, repeat Step 8 but choose SlimBean Gapps zip instead of ROM zip file to install Google Apps. Once Google Apps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit reboot system now. The phone will now reboot into the newly installed ROM. The first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Restoring the Previous ROM: To restore the original ROM: boot the phone into recovery, choose Backup and Restore and then restore your previous ROM by choosing it from the list.
Galaxy S I9000 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via SlimeBean Build 5 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]