Ever wondered if you could import the interface looks on Samsung's flagship phone - Galaxy S3 - to your outdated Galaxy S2 user interface (UI)? If any such thought crossed your mind, then SlimTW5 is just the right ROM tailor-made for your requirement, thanks to XDA senior member tazlooney89.
Based on the CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM, this lightweight ROM offers the latest version of Android coupled with TouchWiz 5 features such as icons, images and TouchWiz 5 home launcher directly flicked off the Galaxy S3 UI. The SlimTW5 ROM is not an official version and hence may harbour a few broken features or untested bugs. Besides, some Samsung-specific or native features found on the stock ROMs may be unavailable on this custom ROM.
- The firmware update and the instructions provided in the guide are meant for Galaxy S2 i9100 model only and will not work on i9100G or another other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to take a backup of important apps, personal data and settings (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing this Jelly Bean update.
- It is mandatory to download and install the stock Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware by following the guide posted here. Also, it is necessary to install Clockworkmod recovery (guide posted here) on it before attempting to install the SlimTW5 ROM on your phone. The ROM may not work unless you adhere to the prerequisite software requirements.
- The procedure given in the guide is meant for reference purpose only and does not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the SlimTW5 Jelly Bean update.
How to Install SlimTW5 Based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S2 i9100
1. Download the latest version of the SlimTW5 ROM from the XDA Developers official thread (Download here).
2. Download the Google Apps package from here.
3. Without extracting, copy the two downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the internal SD card on your phone.
4. Power off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery by performing a button sequence. Now, press and hold the three buttons - Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the screen turns on and the phone should automatically boot into CWM recovery. Use volume keys to navigate through options and power key to select an option in recovery mode.
5. Tap wipe data/factory reset and then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the data wipe process completes.
6. Choose install zip from sdcard. Then, tap choose zip from sdcard. Browse to locate the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Finally, confirm installation by clicking Yes on the next screen. The ROM will begin installing.
7. Once ROM is successfully installed, tap choose zip from sdcard again, then choose the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
8. After the Google apps is installed, hit go back then click reboot system now to boot up the phone into SlimTW5 ROM. The first boot is time consuming and may take up to 5 minutes.
NOTE: To restore stock Samsung ROM again, you should flash the XXLPQ firmware or flash the latest Android 4.0.4 Samsung ROM.
SlimTW5 ROM based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy S2.
[Source: The Android Soul]