Samsung has recently released another software update based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for the NFC-variant of Galaxy S2 bearing model number GT-I9100P. The update comes with base firmware XXLSU and freshly baked on 26 July. It is available in several countries.
The official build can be installed through official Kies utility and also via OTA update. As this firmware is completely unbranded, it can be installed on any unlocked Galaxy S2 I9100P units except those which are from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Version: Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
Built date: 26 July, 2013
Country: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
Galaxy S2 users, who failed to install XXLSU Android 4.1.2 using any of the official method for being region specific, may follow our step-by-step guide to install it manually.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their handsets meet following requirements before installing the firmware.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S2 to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The battery of Galaxy S2 should have charge above 80%.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, it will lose custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP which will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) XXLSU Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware works only on Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100P. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to install XXLSU Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100P
Step-1: Download XXLSU Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official update for Samsung Galaxy S2 to computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and some other files
Step-4: Turn off the Galaxy S2 and wait for five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Place the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the construction Android robot and a triangle appears on the phone screen. Now press Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as Administrator [To do so, right-click on Odin.exe file then click on Run as administrator from context menu.]
Step-7: Connect the Galaxy S2 to the computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with the COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from I9100PXXLSU folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (step-b, c and d) if such files do not exist.
Step-9: Verify Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin window. But uncheck Re-Partition option; select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: When everything is set, hit the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take a few minutes to complete
Step-11: Once the installation process is completed, the phone will reboot automatically. Also, the successful installation will be indicated by a PASS message with green background in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin. Unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Galaxy S2 should now be updated with XXLSU Android 4.1.2 official firmware. To verify the new software version of the device, head over to Settings>> About phone>> Android & Baseband Version.
How to fix bootloop issue
Sometimes the Galaxy S2 gets stuck at booting animation or Samsung logo (after step-11). If this happens then go to recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. In recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/Factory reset. Then select Wipe Cache Partition and once the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option. It should be noted performing wiping task will erase the phone's internal memory data.
[Source: Android Jinn]