Holi - the Indian festival of colours will be celebrated across the world on 6 March, 2015. It is one of the most popular and vibrant festivals in the Hindu culture.
History of Holi - The origin and popular folklore
Holi is an ancient festival, which is referred to in the seventh century Sanskrit drama - Ratnavali. The celebration of Holi is recounted in Hindu sacred texts and stories that have passed from generation to generation. The main Holi legend according to Hindu mythology is as follows:
Holika was a female demon, and the sister of Hiranyakashyap, a demon king who considered himself ruler of the universe, and higher than all gods.
The king despised his son, Prahalad, who was a faithful devotee of the god Vishnu.
One day the king asked him: "Who is the greatest, God or I?"
"God is," said the son, "you are only a king."
Prahalad's response infuriated the king who decided to murder his son.
But the king's attempts at murder did not work too well. Prahalad survived being thrown over a cliff, being trampled by elephants, bitten by snakes, and attacked by soldiers.
So the king asked his sister, Holika, to kill the boy.
Holika had been given a magic boon by the gods that made her immune to fire, so she seized Prahalad and sat in the middle of the fire with the boy on her lap.
However, because Holika was using her gift for an evil deed, her power did not work and she was burned to ashes. Prahalad, on the other hand, stayed true to his God, Vishnu, and sat praying in the lap of his demon aunt. The God protected him and he survived.
To celebrate the story, large bonfires are burned during Holi and in many parts of India; a dummy of Holika is burned.
Here's a roundup of top quotes, messages and wishes, to share with others for Holi 2015:
- Let's welcome the vibrant festival of colours with joy & jubilation. Happy Holi 2015…!!!
- Best wishes to you for a Holi filled with sweet moments and memories to cherish for long.
- I may not put colours on your face on this colourful festival but I am praying to God to add more colours to your beautiful life. Happy Holi 2015…!!!
- May God endow you with all the brightest colours in your life you want it to paint with. Happy Holi 2015 with Love, Happiness and Joy.
- Just like a red rose that fills the world with beauty & fragrance'
You have made my life so beautiful by being in it.
On Holi, the festival of colours & joy I wanna say
thank you for all the love & smiles you've brought to my life.
- Holi is a special time of year to remember those who are close to our hearts with splashing colours!
- Best wishes to you for a
Holi filled with sweet moments
and memories to cherish for long.
Happy Holi 2015!
- Red for love, green for prosperity, orange for success and pink for happiness. May God Bless you and your family with all these colours, Happy Holi!
- Holi is the day to express love with colours. It is a time to show affection. All the colours that are on you are of love!
- May God gift you all the colours of life,
colours of joy, colours of happiness,
colours of friendship, colours of love
and all other colours you
want to paint in your life. Happy Holi.
- Make merry with colours on Holi and the rest of the days with the colours of love.
- Best wishes to you for a Holi filled with sweet moments and memories to cherish for long. Happy Holi!