While the stock Android 5.0.2 software version, already available for the Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi model, is yet to make its way for most Nexus devices including the Nexus 4, XDA developers have released an AOSP custom version based on the latest Android version for the smartphone.
Senior XDA member has shared the AOSP ROM, which is called SimpleAOSP ROM build 7 featuring Android 5.0.2 build LRX22G for the fourth generation Nexus smartphone codenamed mako.
SimpleAOSP is a custom ROM based on the AOSP, which is aimed at keeping AOSP to its simplest form but with improved stability and performance. Check out the features and changelog for the custom ROM.
- Ambient Display
- Volume Rocker Wake
- NavigationBar Height
- Battery Percent
- Quick Pulldown
- Double Tap to Sleep
- Statusbar Brightness Control
- Various Clock and Data options
- Network Traffic
- Increasing Ring Volume
- Notification Light Options
- Battery Light Options
- Safe Headset Volume
- App Ops
- Navbar Height Customization
- Recents All Clear
- Phone lookup
Changelog for SimpleAOSP ROM build 7
- Android-5.0.2_r1 (LRX22G)
- Removed CM recents clear and Added PA recents clear
- Notification Ticker and Headsup Fixes
- New CM Battery Styles (Text Only and Hidden options don't stick after reboot, will be fixed)
- Kernel and Device optimizations for all devices
- Ability to change battery saver light color
- Quick Pin Unlock and Change order of PIN pad numbers added
- Option to disable search bar on recents and clear recents on navbar added
- ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
- Based on: AOSP
- Status: Stable
- Current Stable Version: Build 7
- Create on: 7 November
If you wish to update your Nexus 4 with the SimpleAOSP ROM which brings Android 5.0.2 LRX22G for the smartphone, check out the installation guide.
Points to remember
- As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create backup using any custom recovery.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Go to Settings>> About phone. Scroll down to Build number, Tap seven times on the build number. The Developer options under Settings should appear now. You can now enable USB debugging mode.]
- Your Nexus 4 should have above 80% of battery charge.
- The phone should be rooted and have latest version of recovery installed.
- The bootloader of the phone should be unlocked.
- The SimpleAOSP ROM build 7 works only with Nexus 4 mako. Applying these on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Verify the model number of the smartphone by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and install firmware accordingly.
- Since the custom firmware, bugs are highly likely, but these are expected to be fixed due course of development.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Installation will be completely on your risk.
How to install Android 5.0.2 LRX22G Lollipop on Nexus 4 using SimpleAOSP ROM (Build 7)
Step-1: Connect and mount your Nexus 4 USB memory on your PC through USB cable. Then move the downloaded files to the internal storage of the phone, which is also called internal SD card. But keep in mind that the files are in the SD card root
Step-2: Switch off the Nexus 4 and unplug the USB cable from it
Step-3: Boot your Nexus 4 into Bootloader mode. For this turn the phone on while pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together
Step-4: Follow the on-screen instructions, select Bootloader and then go to Recovery
Step-5: While in recovery mode, perform data wipe. Head over to wipe data/factory reset. Use the Power button to select everything in the Recovery mode
Step-6: Perform a cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition
Step-7: Perform a wipe of your dalvik cache to avoid boot loops or, any other errors. From recovery go to advanced>> wipe dalvik cache
Step-8: Return to the main recovery menu and select install zip from sdcard>> choose zip from sdcard. Using the Volume buttons navigate to the SimpleAOSP ROM, select it and confirm installation
Step-9: Once you have flashed the ROM, follow the similar steps to install Gapps package
Step-10: Also install the SuperSU package if you want root
Step-11: Finally reboot your Android device. Wait for some time, the first boot might take a few minutes, until then do not press and button on the device
Your Nexus 4 should now be on the latest version of SimpleAOSP ROM featuring Android 5.0.2 build LRX22G.