Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070 users can now enjoy the most stable Jelly Bean experience, thanks to the release of the latest Android 4.1.2 I9070XXLQL official Jelly Bean firmware from Samsung. The new firmware brings a handful of bug-fixes and performance improvements for the S Advance I9070.
The new I9070XXLQL firmware is available for installation via Over-The-Air (OTA) update as well as through Samsung KIES. However, those who cannot access the update via OTA or KIES for some reason can still install the same manually, using this guide.
This tutorial is divided into three sections, describing the various methods of installing the new firmware on your Galaxy S Advance I9070. The first section describes the procedure to install the update via OTA, the second via KIES and the third explains the manual procedure via Odin.
You may try any of the three procedures depending on your comfort level and personal choice or as an alternative if a certain procedure did not work for you. IBTimes UK recommends you try the OTA or KIES method first and if they do not work then you could attempt the manual installation method.
Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any device damage during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
I9070XXLQL Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware Details
Version: Android 4.1.2
Build date: Dec 05, 2013
- Android 4.1.2 I9070XXLQL Jelly Bean firmware and instructions provided in this tutorial are meant for Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070 model only. Do not attempt installing this firmware on any other model as it may inadvertently brick the device. Verify the phone's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up your important data and settings on the phone to prevent unexpected data loss during firmware installation.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge before you proceed.
- Verify if correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy S Advance I9070 USB drivers)
- Enable USB debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development or Settings > Developer Options to allow file transfer between your phone and computer.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 I9070XXLQL Jelly Bean on Galaxy S Advance via OTA
- Ensure the phone has a stable internet connection (Wi-Fi or data network) for downloading the firmware
- Navigate to Android app drawer, choose Settings > About device
- Now choose Software update and hit Update button
- An update notification message should appear on screen. Click OK to download and install the firmware (use Wi-Fi or 3G based on your convenience).
- Wait until the device reboots to complete the install process.
NOTE:If you see "the latest update have already been installed" message when you check for update, it means that your device is yet to receive an OTA update. You can wait for a couple of days more or try the other procedures.
How to Update Galaxy S Advance to I9070XXLQL Android 4.1.2 via Samsung KIES
- Ensure you have a stable internet connection on computer
- Download and install Samsung KIES on computer
- Power on the phone and connect it to computer via USB cable
- Run Samsung KIES and wait until it detects the phone
- A message reading: "A new firmware upgrade is available" should now appear on Samsung KIES' home screen
- Hit the Firmware Upgrade button to continue with installation
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete firmware installation.
- Your device will reboot automatically soon after installing the firmware. It is now safe to disconnect your phone from computer.
NOTE: If you encounter "this is the latest firmware" message in Samsung KIES, then your device is yet to receive the latest update. In such cases, just proceed to the manual method in the next section.
How to Install Official I9070XXLQL Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S Advance I9070 Manually
- Download I9070XXLQL_I9070ITVLQ5_ITV.zip and Odin v3.09.
- Extract firmware zip file that you downloaded earlier to get a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
- Extract Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.09.exe along with few other files.
- Power off your phone and wait about 5 to 6 seconds for vibration to confirm complete device shutdown.
- Now, boot Galaxy S Advance I9070 in Download Mode by pressing and holding down Home and Volume Down buttons together while tapping Power button. When a warning message appears on screen, hit Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
- Now run Odin3 v3.09.exe (see Step 3) as an Administrator as Admin privileges are required to complete the process (only applicable to Windows Vista and higher).
- Connect your phone to computer via USB cable. An "Added!!" massage will appear in Odin's message box. If the message fails to appear then you should try another USB port (preferably the one at the back side of your computer). If all else fails just reinstall the USB drivers for your phone on computer. When the "Added!!" message appears in Odin, you can proceed to the next step. At this moment, the COM port with a number also turns Yellow suggesting the device is added succeessfully.
- Tap the AP Button, and select the .tar.md5 file that you extracted in Step 2.
- In Odin, ensure only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are selected.
- Verify step 8 and step 9 are done correctly and then hit START button to begin the flashing process.
- After the firmware flashing is complete, your Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070 will restart and soon a PASS message with green background appears at the top left-most box in Odin. You can now disconnect the USB cable to separate the phone from computer.
Galaxy S Advance is now updated to latest I9070XXLQL Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware. Go to Settings > About device to verify the firmware update.
Troubleshooting: Fix Boot Loop Issue
If Galaxy S Advance is stuck at boot animation (for more than 10 minutes) after Step 11 then perform the following steps:
- Boot into Recovery mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
- Now perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition task before tapping reboot system now function. In recovery mode use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option.
NOTE: Performing wiping task will erase the internal memory data of your device and not the external SD card data.