Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 users need to root their phone and install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery before trying to install any custom ROMs on it. With due credit to XDA recognised members, codeworkx and flasherruts, Galaxy S2 I9100 users can now install the latest Android 4.4 custom ROMs via KitKat compatible CWM recovery.
Interested users can go ahead and install the latest KitKat compatible CWM recovery for Galaxy S2 by following our step-by-step guide given below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after CWM recovery installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The CWM recovery (v220.127.116.11) provided in this guide is compatible with the international variant of Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 model only. Verify the model number of your device by navigating to Settings > About Phone. Do not attempt installing this recovery on any other phone as it may inadvertently brick the device.
- Backup your important data and settings on the Galaxy S2 to avoid data loss (app settings, game progress etc.) during CWM recovery installation.
- Ensure correct USB drivers are installed for your phone on computer (download Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 USB drivers)
- CWM Recovery 18.104.22.168 (File name: GT-I9100_JB_ClockworkMod-Recovery_22.214.171.124.tar)
- CWM Recovery 126.96.36.199 (File name: CWM-KitKatCompatible-i9100.zip)
- Odin v3.09.zip
NOTE: If you are using Odin to flash CWM recovery for the first time then you can check out the video tutorial below, courtesy of The Android Soul.
Steps to Install ClockworkMod Recovery v188.8.131.52 on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 1: Extract or unzip the Odin_v3.09.zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.09.exe and Odin3.ini files.
Step 2: Download and copy the CWM 184.108.40.206 file to the same folder in which you extracted the Odin v3.09.zip. Now you will see the following files in that folder:
- Odin v3.09.exe
Step 3: Disconnect the phone from computer if it is still plugged in.
Step 4: Double click Odin3 v3.09.exe file to open Odin
Step 5: Boot your Galaxy S2 into Download Mode. To do so, Power off the phone and wait for about 6 to 7 seconds until the display turns off. Now press and hold Volume Down, Power and Home buttons together until the Warning message appears on screen. Then tap Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 6: Connect the phone to computer and wait until Odin displays an Added message in the bottom left box. If the Added message fails to appear, then try reinstalling the USB drivers for your phone on computer or try connecting to a different USB port on computer (preferably the one at the back of computer).
Step 7: Now load the CWM recovery file in Odin as follows:
Click the AP button in Odin and choose recovery.tar.md5 file from step 1.
Step 8: Ensure the Re-partition box is unchecked, while Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time boxes are checked in Odin.
Step 9: After verifying Step 7 and Step 8, proceed to next step.
Step 10: Click the Start button in Odin to begin flashing CWM recovery on your Galaxy S2, and wait until a PASS message appears in Odin's top left box.
Step 11: Finally, when the PASS message appears in Odin, your phone will reboot automatically. It is now safe to disconnect your phone from computer.
NOTE: If you see a FAIL message in Odin, then disconnect your Galaxy S2 from computer, Close Odin and remove the phone's battery. Now reinsert the battery within 3 to 4 seconds, launch Odin and repeat the tutorial from Step 3.
Troubleshooting Boot Loop Issues or Stuck at Boot Animation
- If your device is stuck at boot animation or facing boot loop issues then try the following steps:
- Disconnect your phone from computer, close Odin and remove phone's battery. Reinsert it back within 3 to 4 seconds, re-launch Odin and then repeat the tutorial from step 4.
Steps to Install CWM Recovery v220.127.116.11 (Android 4.4 KitKat Compatible) on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 1: Boot the phone into recovery mode. To do so, Power off the phone and wait for about 5 to 10 seconds until the device completely shuts down.
Step 2: Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together and release them once the Galaxy S2 logo appears on screen. NOTE: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate and Power key to select the desired option.
Step 3: Now choose Install Zip and click Choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the location where you downloaded or copied the CWM 18.104.22.168 file and select it.
Step 4: Now go to Advanced option and select Reboot Recovery. Wait until the CWM recovery restarts and you are ready to flash latest custom ROMs on it.
[Source: The Android Soul]