Galaxy S2 I9100 can now be updated to latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware via NeatROM v2.4.1 custom ROM, thanks to the industrious efforts of XDA Recognised contributor,_Sale_. The ROM enhances the look and feel of your handset's user-interface (UI) with a handful of customisations and goodies.
NeatROM v2.4.1 is reportedly fast, stable and delivers a smooth user experience with the device. As the ROM is based on the original Android Open Source Project (AOSP) release, it requires ClockworkMod recovery for installation along with Google apps package.
Android 4.4.2 NeatROM comes with a plethora of features to boot and some of the noteworthy stuff is listed below:
- AOSP NeatROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 (dated 23-01-2014)
- Firmware: I9100 AOSP NeatROM v2.4.1 (4.4.2)
- Compiled from the latest SlimKat repos
- The Real Dark Slim
- Notification drawer Shortcuts
- Full hardware key rebinding
- Keyboard rotation
- Nova Launcher
- Darker Camera - colour filter options, gps indicator, picture quality, smart capture, shutter sound...
- Darker Gallery
- Phasebeam LiveWallpaper
- Wifi country code
- Mediascanner behaviour on boot
- Volume key cursor control
- Show permanent enter key on keyboard
- IME selector notification
- Auto keyboard rotation feature
- Systemwide blacklist support for calls and sms/mms
- Pattern size customising
- Lock before unlock the new way
- Lockscreen shortcuts
- Fully revamped lockscreen target options
- Start widgets maximised on lockscreen
- Enable carousel animation on lockscreen
- Enable/disable camera widget on lockscreen
- Full customisable low battery warning
- Wake up on charge
- Volume rocker wake
- Volume rocker music control
- CRT animation the new way with new animation as well
- Fully customisable auto brightness
- Display rotation options (0, 90, 180, 270)
- Fully customisable volume panel
- Power connectivity alert
- Less frequent notification sounds
- Ascending ringtone
- Control safe headset warning
- Mute Camera shutter sound
- Quiet hours new extended version
- Mute Volume adjust sound
- Fully global menu customisation
- Fully revamped navigation bar and navigation ring customisations
- Statusbar brightness control
- Full Clock and date customisation on status bar
- Battery icons
- Quick settings style options
- Quick pulldown for quick settings
- Easy full swipe access between notification drawer and quicksettings
- Wifi access point is shown in notification drawer
- Hide carrier label on notification drawer
- Notification drawer shortcuts
- Notification transparency
- Notification drawer and quicksettings background as well with tablet support
- Fully customisable quick settings the new way with new included music tiles and features
- Battery tile new click/longpress behaviour
- Allow to disable QuickSettings completly
- Option in Dev Set to customize the device hostname
- SystemUI - double tap to sleep gesture
- IPV6 tethering support
- Allow applications to override power key
- DeskClock - back flip and shake actions
- Navigation bar
- Global menu - Expanded desktop
- Wakeup Options
- Enable/Disable Root (Enabled by default)
- Fixed StatusBar Back Button
- Es File Explorer
- www.NeatROM.com as default home page for browser
- NeatROM Bootanimation v4
- Enabled HD Voice
- Init.d Support
- New Tweaks including better battery life
Interested users can go ahead and install the newest Android 4.4.2 KitKat update via NeatROM using our step-by-step guide below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The NeatROM v2.4.1 custom ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the Galaxy S2 I9100 model only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (NOTE: Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings.) Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure the device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with latest ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery (v220.127.116.11) or install CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly which includes CWM recovery v18.104.22.168.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
Download Mods and Themes
- Minimal gapps
- Customizable Mms
Download ROM, CWM Recovery and Gapps
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat NeatROM v2.4.1 for Galaxy S2 I9100
- Google Apps(if this does not work, try Google Apps Full)
- CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly for i9100 or CWM Recovery for Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Steps to Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy S2 I9100 with NeatROM Custom ROM
Step-1: Download Android 4.4.2 KitKat NeatROM for Galaxy S2 I9100 to computer
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy S2 to computer via USB cable. Without extracting, copy the downloaded firmware zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of the phone's SD card.
Step-4: Power off the phone and wait for 5 to 10 seconds until the device shuts down completely.
Step-5: Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together, until the Galaxy S2 logo appears on screen.
Step-6: Release all three buttons at the same time to boot into CWM or Philz recovery mode. NOTE: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option.
Step-7: Perform Wipe data/Factory reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress) and choose Yes on next screen to confirm the action.
Step-8: Return to CWM recovery main menu and select Mounts and Storage > Format System and Format preload and click Yes on next screen to confirm. Then perform Wipe Cache Partition. From the main menu of CWM recovery, go to Advanced and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache. Then hit Yes on next screen to confirm.
NOTE: Flash CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly before you proceed (use step 9) or install CWM recovery for Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Once CM 10.2 Nightly is flashed, you will have access to CWM recovery v22.214.171.124 and then you can install/flash NeatROM custom ROM (repeat step 9).
Step-9: Select Install Zip from sdcard and then click Choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the location of the NeatROM firmware file which you copied earlier to your phone's SD card. Choose Yes on next screen to confirm the firmware installation.
Step-10: Repeat the previous step to install Google Apps as well.
Step-11: Once Google Apps is also installed, select "+++++Go Back+++++" and reboot the phone by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. Your Galaxy S2 I9100 will restart and it may take about 5 minutes for first boot. So, do not interrupt the process.
Your Galaxy S2 I9100 is now running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat via NeatROM custom ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.