A teenager whose sexual assault on Oxford University student Ione Wells sparked a #notguilty campaign for victims, has been detained.

The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was sentenced to a year behind bars for attacking Wells, 20, in Camden, London, in April.

She penned a powerful open letter about the incident and waived her right to anonymity to publicise a campaign for victims, declaring sex attack victims were always blameless in such situations.

Wells stayed away from the sentencing hearing, but in a victim impact statement read out at Highbury Magistrates Court, she said the attack made her "feel nauseous just looking at my own body".

But she added the public reception to her #notguilty campaign had "transformed an incredibly hurtful experience".

The student, who describes herself as a human rights activist, was praised for her bravery by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

"This was a terrifying attack which no one should have to experience. I want to let victims know that we will do all we can to support them through the prosecution process," said CPS London deputy chief Gerallt Evans.

Defence lawyers for the attacker, who had no previous convictions, said he regretted his actions and had wept while being interviewed about the assault.

The incident came to public attention when Wells published a defiant letter insisting "her community" would refuse to be cowed by the risk of sexual assaults.

She wrote: "My community will not feel we are unsafe walking back home after dark. We will get on the last Tube home, and we will walk up our streets alone, because we will not ingrain or submit to the idea that we are putting ourselves in danger in doing so."

Sentencing the teenager, youth judge Gillian Alison said the attack was "potentially life-changing".

"This offence is so serious that only a period of detention can be justified. I reach that decision because of the severe and potentially life-changing impact this has had on the victim."