Leicester City's Jeffrey Schlupp will begin talks with Manchester United, after a successful trial at Old Trafford, according to Foxes boss Nigel Pearson.

Schlupp has featured twice for United's Under 21 side against Liverpool the most recently in the weekend draw with West Ham United after joining the club on trial in January.

The Ghanaian international, who can play at either full-back or centre forward, has played eight times for Leicester this season but will now begin discussions with United over whether to make his trial spell into a permanent deal.

Jeffrey Schlupp
Schlupp is to have talks with Manchester United.

"I think we'll be discussing this week what the next step is," said Pearson.

"He's done well at United, he's played the last two games that he can play there so clearly it's going to have some effect this week."

Ex-Leicester boss Sven Goran Eriksson, who handed the 20 year old his debut, said: "He's a very, very good football player with very good talent. I wanted to keep him.

"If he is ready for Manchester United, I do not know. It is a big thing for him but would be a big loss for Leicester if it happens."

The former Brentford loanee has featured as the main back-up to Paul Konchesky in the City squad, with supporters divided over which player provides the greater thrust from full-back.

He can operate at the back or in attack, which saw him net six goals in as many games during his short spell at Griffen Park in 2011, prior to making his Leicester debut at the start of the 2011/12 campaign against Reading.

Schlupp spent much of the campaign as the backup to David Nugent and Martyn Waghorn at the King Power Stadium, but scored twice in three starts as Pearson's side recovered from a difficult start to the season to finish nineth in The Championship.

But the German-born player appears on the brink of making the step up to one of English football's most decorated clubs, after two impressive displays first against Liverpool, during which he spearheaded the attack in a 1-0 United win, then at the weekend against The Hammers at Upton Park where he played a full 90 minutes.