Doctors in Canberra, the capital city of Australia, have removed a 10cm fork from the urethra of a 70-year-old man who told doctors he inserted the utensil inside him for sexual pleasure.
Due to the rarity of the case, three doctors wrote about it in the International Journal of Surgery Case Report last month. The article is entitled "An Unusual Urethral Foreign Body".
According to the report by the doctors, it took the unidentified man 12 hours to gather the courage to walk up to the doctors with his condition.
He appeared at the Canberra Hospital emergency department with a bleeding penis and told doctors how he inserted the piece of cutlery into his urethra for sexual gratification but the fork got stuck inside.
The fork could be felt easily from outside the man's skin and an x-ray image also showed the fork stuck in the man's penis vertically.
Doctors finally managed to remove the utensil out of the man with the help of forceps and "copious lubrication", reported The Canberra Times. The man was given general anesthesia during the procedure.
The doctors, in the report, have written that the case was very rare and that it is highly unusual to see an object wedged in the lower urinary tract.
They explained that they wrote about the case "given the great management challenge faced by the oddity and infrequency with which a fork is encountered in the penile urethra".
According to the report in the Canberra Times, other objects that have been found stuck in different body parts of people include wires, Allen keys, toothbrushes, light bulbs, thermometers, plants, vegetables, leeches, snakes and glue.
"It is apparent that the human mind is uninhibited let alone creative. Autoerotic stimulation with the aid of self-inserted urethral foreign bodies has been existent since time immemorial and have presented an unusual but known presentation to urologists," they added.
The report also says that many a people try to remove such objects at home in order to avoid going to a doctor and avoid embarrassment, but such attempts only lead to further injuries.
Urethra is a narrow tube, which is a little longer in men in comparison to women and its function is to carry urine from the bladder to the outside the body.
According to a 2010 study on the subject, the "urological consequences of this type of behavior can be significant and the implications for patients can be serious including death from sepsis."
The study also reported a similar case where a 62-year-old man had apparently inserted two small household batteries up his urethra for sexual gratification.