FDA Moves to Ban Sales of E-Cigarettes to U18s
Firefighters are now warning people against using fault E-Cigarette chargers

A man has died in a house fire after an e-cigarette he was charging exploded and ignited oxygen equipment he was using.

The 62-year-old man was found dead at his home in Wallasey, Merseyside following a fire at the address.

Firefighters believe the blaze started after an e-cigarette blew up and managed to ignite oxygen which was kept inside medical equipment held in the victim's bedroom.

The blaze was extinguished by the time firefighters arrived at the scene.

The man's death is believed to be the first one in the UK as a direct result of an e-cigarette exploding.

A Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) spokesperson said: "The 62-year-old male casualty was discovered in the living room of the property.

"Whilst the exact cause of death is yet to be established, the subsequent fire investigation identified that an e-cigarette that had been charging in the bedroom exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the occupier.

"There was a small amount of smoke damage to the property. One fire appliance attended the incident."

The fire is believed to have been the ninth incident where an exploding e-cigarette may be responsible on Merseyside since 2103.

MFRS area manager Myles Platt said: "The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the E-Cigarette.

"We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.

"Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source."

A spokesperson for Merseyside Police added: "At this time the man's death is not being treated as suspicious and the matter has been referred to the coroner. The man has been identified and next of kin have been advised."

An inquest into the man's death is due to take place.