In the wake of fresh clashes and militant attacks in the Kashmir valley earlier this week, authorities have imposed curfew during the night as well in Srinagar district, effective Wednesday (17 August) night. The valley in the northern most Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir has been under curfew for about 40 days now following clashes that erupted after the killing of separatist leader Burhan Wani in July.

With the month-long unrest showing no signs of ending, local authorities have warned people against venturing out in the night and have also instructed shops and businesses to remain shut.

The decision to impose round-the-clock curfew has been triggered by rising attacks on security personnel in the past few weeks, top government sources told Indo-Asian News Service.

A senior police officer confirmed that night curfew has been imposed and unlike earlier, when people were allowed to move out of their houses in the evenings during curfew relaxation, residents will now have to remain indoors even during night. The officer told the news agency that relaxation in curfew would be decided following a review of the law and order situation.

The Kashmir unrest, which began on July 8 when Wani was killed by security forces, has led to the deaths of at least 65 people so far with many more injured, including security personnel and civilians. The situation has also encouraged terrorists to sneak into the valley and launch attacks, aggravating security concerns in the valley.

An intelligence officer told the Times of India that nearly 60 terrorists have infiltrated into the valley through Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) in the last couple of weeks, taking advantage of the unrest. He added that the Indian army has fought off many such infiltrators at several places along the Line of Control between India and Pakistan. Five infiltrators were eliminated on Tuesday (16 August), the officer added.

On Wednesday, armed militants ambushed a security convoy in Kashmir and killed three security personnel, including two soldiers and a police constable, in Baramulla. The militant group Hizbul Mujahideen claimed responsibility for the attack, with their spokesman announcing they have been ordered to intensify attacks. "Commander Saifullah Khalid directed the squad to intensify the attacks on security establishments," the spokesman said.